• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Obama Math 2

Brad M.

NAXJA Forum User
Cash for Clunkers:

Ignore all the gas crap and just look at how the
stupid car buyer got taken to the cleaners:
If you traded in a clunker worth $3500, you get $4500 off for an
apparent "savings" of $1000.
However, you have to pay taxes on the $4500 come April 15th (something
that no auto dealer will tell you). If you are in the 30% tax bracket,
you will pay $1350 on that $4500.
So, rather than save $1000, you actually pay an extra $350 to the feds.
In addition, you traded in a car that was most likely paid for. Now you
have 4 or 5 years of payments on a car that you did not need, that was
costing you less to run than the payments that you will now be making.
But wait, it gets even better: you also got ripped off by the dealer.

For example, every dealer here in LA was selling the Ford Focus with all
the goodies including A/C, auto transmission, power windows, etc for
$12,500 the month before the "cash for clunkers" program started.
When "cash for clunkers" came along, they stopped discounting them and
instead sold them at the list price of $15,500. So, you paid $3000 more
than you would have the month before. (Honda, Toyota, and Kia played
the same list price game that Ford and Chevy did).
So lets do the final tally here:

You traded in a car worth: $3500

You got a discount of: $4500

Net so far: +$1000

But you have to pay: $1350 in taxes on the $4500

Net so far: -$350

And you paid: $3000 more than the car was selling for the
month before

Net -$3350

We could also add in the additional taxes (sales tax, state tax, etc.)
on the extra $3000 that you paid for the car, along with the 5 years of
interest on the car loan but lets just stop here.
So who actually made out on the deal? The feds collected taxes on the
car along with taxes on the $4500 they "gave" you. The car dealers made
an extra $3000 or more on every car they sold along with the kickbacks
from the manufacturers and the loan companies. The manufacturers got to
dump lots of cars they could not give away the month before. And the
poor stupid consumer got saddled with even more debt that they cannot
afford.
The governent convinced Joe consumer that he was
getting $4500 in "free" money from the "government" when in fact Joe was
giving away his $3500 car and paying an additional $3350 for the
privilege.

If this is true than it makes me happy because then I know I am not paying for the destruction of the cars and the people who traded them in are even bigger suckers...

That's what I've been saying all along...Cash for Clunkers is nothing but a big ripoff...

P.S. I hope you don't mind, but I stole this and put it on my FB...

Not to mention the geniuses behind this thought they would save gas consumption because of the requirement of buying a vehicle with better gas mileage. Studies show that when a new car is purchased, that new vehicle will see almost a 70% increase in miles driven over the old vehicle.

Yeah....I'm convinced the administration, and for the most part all the current policy makers are the suck at math.

Yeah....I'm convinced the administration, and for the most part all the current policy makers are the suck at math.
What makes you think they didn't know this going in to it? It was a ruse to sell a bunch of new cars. Success! No big stink like when they just give the cash straight to the manufacturers.

:palmface: Did you copy and past this somewhere or should I credit you as the source when I forward it to everyone I know?
rofl.gif

Billy

What I'm really surprised we didn't see come out of this was variable rate auto loans with 0% intro offers that jacked up to 12-15%... just like when the government encouraged people to buy more house than they could afford.

This ia exactly what I tried to tell everyone that liked the CFC idea. I am glad people got screwed.

I can't wait to see how many cars will be repo-ed here in a few months. We are going to need a boost for the finance companies to keep their heads above water. It would give me great pleasure to see GMAC and Chrysler Financial get hit hard by non-paying buyers. That would make the CFC program a total waste of money!

What I'm really surprised we didn't see come out of this was variable rate auto loans with 0% intro offers that jacked up to 12-15%... just like when the government encouraged people to buy more house than they could afford.
I kinda like the fact that people bought more house than they could afford, it brought the houses down to the level where I can afford them, I'll soon have a fixer-upper house to match my fixer-upper XJ for 1/4 what it was "worth" a couple years ago. Mortgage will be less than my rent is right now.

I know I'm being a horrible, cold, calculating jackass when it comes to this, but anyone with enough money to invest in the stock market and buy themselves a house over the next year or two is going to make out like a bandit in the next bubble... buy low, sell high.

EDIT: once you realize valuation of stocks (at least in day trading) and real estate are in the eye of the buyer, not in any real logical valuation, it makes a little more sense... at least to me

anyone with enough money to invest in the stock market and buy themselves a house over the next year or two is going to make out like a bandit in the next bubble... buy low, sell high.

Agreed, which is why I'm looking to invest over the next couple of years.

looking for a nice house in NC next year. They were building Sec houses and spec developments like mad over the last few years. Aught to be pretty well priced by the time I am ready to buy.

Back