• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unmolested 2001 XJ + New member

dirtyjerz5.0

NAXJA Forum User
picked up a 2001 with 65k on the clock for a pretty good deal at 5k flat :dunno:

couple little dings, no big deal, only question is there is a "poping" noise coming from the front door hinge when being opened or closed, almost looks like the pin is moving around alot, any simple solutions? thanks for the help :)

What are the other "must do" mods i must do for a stock jeep
btw already have autopal lights on order

Last edited:
Nice find.

Keep it stock.

What is your intended use?

In all honesty if you want to take it off-road, recovery points (typically tow hooks up front and reeiver hitch in the rear) and skidplates.

The door popping may be quieted some by lubricating the flat bar with the detents- the little guy that keeps the door open. Give it a shot of WD40, or white grease, should do the trick. If it's still noisy, it may be worn. No big deal, though.
More importantly, the '00 and '01 models have the infamous 0331 head which is prone to cracking. Please keep an eye on coolant level and oil color. Change it every 3K to keep it relatively clean, and if either the oil gets milky or the coolant level drops, have the head checked. They crack and allow coolant into the oil, causing overheating and then ruining the bearings. There are a few good threads on the subject. Not trying to scare you, but make you aware of a potential problem. Pop the hood a few times a week, and you can stay ahead of any problems.
Nice Jeep! Take good care of it, and it'll be good to you.

The door popping may be quieted some by lubricating the flat bar with the detents- the little guy that keeps the door open. Give it a shot of WD40, or white grease, should do the trick. If it's still noisy, it may be worn. No big deal, though.
More importantly, the '00 and '01 models have the infamous 0331 head which is prone to cracking. Please keep an eye on coolant level and oil color. Change it every 3K to keep it relatively clean, and if either the oil gets milky or the coolant level drops, have the head checked. They crack and allow coolant into the oil, causing overheating and then ruining the bearings. There are a few good threads on the subject. Not trying to scare you, but make you aware of a potential problem. Pop the hood a few times a week, and you can stay ahead of any problems.
Nice Jeep! Take good care of it, and it'll be good to you.

yeah i heard about that, so far so good, the car runs super strong and oil looks good as well as the coolant. Ill def keep an eye on it though, any first signs to show that the head is going?

Nope no need to fix my post I thoroughly enjoy my '97 with 235 All Terrains. I like the fact that I get 17-20mpg v. my modified '92 that I'm lucky to see 13mpg.

A lot of "wheeling" can be done with a fairly stock jeep.

Future upgrades for my '97 include ~1" lift (MJ shackle in the rear, coil spacer up front) disconnects for the front sway bar, and skidplates (just picked up a gas tank skid, looking for a t-case skid , the new JCR one looks nice)

yeah i heard about that, so far so good, the car runs super strong and oil looks good as well as the coolant. Ill def keep an eye on it though, any first signs to show that the head is going?

Please keep an eye on coolant level and oil color. Change it every 3K to keep it relatively clean, and if either the oil gets milky or the coolant level drops, have the head checked.

Nice find.

Keep it stock.

What is your intended use?

In all honesty if you want to take it off-road, recovery points (typically tow hooks up front and reeiver hitch in the rear) and skidplates.

mostly just a nice DD. Ill put about 5k on it a year as i live right down the street from work. Probably gonna throw a 3.5 RE lift and some 31's and call it a day

The popping in my front door was the door check going bad.

mostly just a nice DD. Ill put about 5k on it a year as i live right down the street from work. Probably gonna throw a 3.5 RE lift and some 31's and call it a day

Be prepared to do the SYE and driveshaft

Mounts inside the door, has a little arm that sticks out and is pinned to a mount on the A pillar. The door check prevents the door from swinging too far and/or too fast.

The 2000-2001's are notorious for needing SYE and driveshaft at much lower lift heights than the older models.

The 2000-2001's are notorious for needing SYE and driveshaft at much lower lift heights than the older models.

why? there its no difference in drivetrain besides the lp30 and that doesnt effect needing a sye. my buddy has a 01 with 4.5" 1" tc drop and no shims and getting no vibration or noise what so ever.

why? there its no difference in drivetrain besides the lp30 and that doesnt effect needing a sye. my buddy has a 01 with 4.5" 1" tc drop and no shims and getting no vibration or noise what so ever.

He's lucky,there is a big difference in the drivetrain on 97+ vs earlier models.Jeep has a TSB for it,my brand new 2000 had vibes driving off the lot!

you dont need a sye and ds at 3.5". a tc drop and shims will be just fine. no sense putting money out for something he doesnt need.

on my 01 i had light vibes after a 2 inch lift. 3.5-4"....it felt like i was in a plane taking off. everything would start vibrating and shaking.

there IS a difference in the drivetrain. the output on the tcase is different, as has been stated before.

Back