• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement CPS

NVRwheels

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having trouble finding a replacement CPS for my 1996 XJ with an ax-15. They gave me one for a manual tranny and where it connects to the wiring harness wasn't the same as my old cps so i didn't line up. The store manager thinks that one from a 97 up might work because my XJ was made in june of 96 so I will try that one tomorrow when it comes in. Any advice?

Try the local Jeep dealer for the exact replacement and also the Jeep OEM sensor that has a bit of a better track record of longevity than many of the aftermarket ones do (although it costs a little more, but is worth it).

You are correct--try one from a 97. If it works, go ahead and assume that all the sensors are 97 style(they changed all the connectors--much easier to remove with the push and pull instead of the older lift and pull). The good news is that since you have a late 96, you have a 29-spline axle as well(well that is if you have a 8.25").

You are correct--try one from a 97. If it works, go ahead and assume that all the sensors are 97 style(they changed all the connectors--much easier to remove with the push and pull instead of the older lift and pull). The good news is that since you have a late 96, you have a 29-spline axle as well(well that is if you have a 8.25").

Oh hell yes I didn't know i had a 29 spline sweet.

Now how the heck do you get that son of a bitch CPS off mines torqued the heck down and its in such an ackward spot. Should I drop the tranny some?
thanks,
Jake

Long extensions, I use 3 of them. "Torque" is whatever I put on it with arms.

I'm having trouble finding a replacement CPS for my 1996 XJ with an ax-15. They gave me one for a manual tranny and where it connects to the wiring harness wasn't the same as my old cps so i didn't line up. The store manager thinks that one from a 97 up might work because my XJ was made in june of 96 so I will try that one tomorrow when it comes in. Any advice?

Hopefully you found out the connector was different before you swapped them. I'm thinking a 97 sensor is probably the ticket here as well. I don't believe there is a difference between the auto and manual sensors, btw.

I used two long extensions with a U joint in between.

And drop the front driveshaft, that'll make a world of difference.

Do yourself the favor and get one from a dealership! I went through 3 of them from my local advanced car store. It was all fine and dandy and I can swap those suckers out in 10minutes flat now, but when I had to replace them it was january. no garage and a lot of cold frost bitten finger tips!

Back