• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Better fix TC Drop or Shims?

You need to know the angles before answering!

Look into an SYE, though an SYE involves shims too. Should fix the vibes and leave your transfer case ground clearance the same.

I ended up getting vibes when I threw the add a leaf in and wanted to ask what opinions were on what is a better fix.
Thanks

The 96 and newer XJs are more prone to driveline vibrations than earlier Cherokees.... The problem stems from a change made by the manufacturer where they moved the support bearing in the output shaft housing...
Driveshaft angles are changed during the installation of a lift; the lack of support of the driveshaft yoke causes the vibrations...
Since it appears as though you own a '99 XJ; you will more than likely have the same problems....
I purchased my '98 NEW and it had driveline vibrations almost immediately.... The dealership had my Jeep numerous times and never cured the problem.
The only solution was installing a SYE in the transfercase and degree shims between the leaf pack and axle mounts....
My Jeep has had a SYE installed for over 11 years....

You could always get a longer shackle. That might help.

Yeah, a longer shackle may improve your pinion angle enough to reduce the vibrations. An SYE will run you about $120 before buying tools if you know where to look - $30-40 for a driveshaft at your local pull-a-part and $80 for the 3103-27CV yoke, then $15 or so for a pack of 1/2" grade 8 flat washers, a 1/2-13 ~1.5" grade8 bolt, a 1/2-13 tap, and some drills. I know it's not in everyone's budget but it's not as bad as it could be.

EDIT: I've got all the parts for mine sitting around. I just haven't had the time to install it yet :(

The 96 and newer XJs are more prone to driveline vibrations than earlier Cherokees.... The problem stems from a change made by the manufacturer where they moved the support bearing in the output shaft housing...
Driveshaft angles are changed during the installation of a lift; the lack of support of the driveshaft yoke causes the vibrations...
Since it appears as though you own a '99 XJ; you will more than likely have the same problems....
I purchased my '98 NEW and it had driveline vibrations almost immediately.... The dealership had my Jeep numerous times and never cured the problem.
The only solution was installing a SYE in the transfercase and degree shims between the leaf pack and axle mounts....

Thanks for such an informative reply. I will definitely get the SYE as soon as I can afford it. Until then I want to do what ever is best to stop the vibes before I break something

longer shackle would only help if he has an SYE....

for now, I'd just try and get away with shimming it....

that is correct!

as for why shims are better....IMO, a TC drop causes all kinds of problems - from losing ground clearance, to putting stress on motor mounts and exhaust, to tipping your fan closer to the radiator....

Good luck!

x2,I had vibes on my 2000 as I pulled off the lot(new).300 miles later I installed an HD SYE kit(plus 5 different lift kits),now 9yrs(and 45K offroad miles) later it runs smoother than stock!

Correct. I run matching front shafts - if you have an AW4/C8.25 combo, you can get a front shaft from, IIRC, 89-01 w/ the AW4 and it works perfect for the rear driveshaft.

I am in the process of doing the same thing; I have a pretty nasty vibe after installing my budget build (XJ main leaf + S10 donor pack). I ordered the parts for a homebrew TC drop, but after some reading I decided to try shimming the axle instead. After searching several forums I have read that lowering your TC over 1” can trash your motor mounts, not to mention that a lot of people strip out the studs that hold the TC mount. Not to mention that it’s just plain easier to use a shim. A word on shims from what I have read do not use the aluminum ones, I guess they have a tendency to warp/crack over time. I am by no means an expert on this and welcome any correction. Here are a couple of links that I have been using as a reference.

Shim info;
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/21c8j-pair-rear-leaf-spring-axle-shims

More shim info and place to order Steal shims.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shims.shtml

TC drop kit if I have to:
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTCdrop.htm

:patriot:

Back