• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 cherokeecheif... ignition locked

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
88 cherokee chief... went to turn key to off but cant turn backwards... can go forwards aka start... but I seem to be stuck in on/ acessory I pulled something (mabey the wires for the main ecu) engine shut off thats good then I then disconected battery wires so the accesories wouldnt empty my battery... need some help from here though... been looking... could it be the core?

What do have for a transmission? I have a stick but I hear that with the auto the shift interlock cable gets out of adjustment. I think if you can jiggle the shifter handle and get the key to come out your cable needs adjustment. Search for "shift interlock" or something like that. I don't know a whole lot about this but that'd be my guess. My '87 5-speed has a little lever on the column to release the key.

Everytime I wanted to turn my key to the lock position, it would hang (or hitch) and I'd have to slap the shifter forword once (while it was in park) to get the key to turn to the locked position.
I bent the bracket that holds the interlock (guessing at the name) cable a very small bit and the problem disappeared.
But I still slap the shifter forword on my XJ, the wifes XJ and any other XJ I happen to be driving. Old habits are hard to break.:banghead:
One of those things a person rarley pays attention to, but if I recollect correctly, the key has a *lock* position, an *off* position, a *run* position and a *start* position.
The steering wheel lock can hang, not allowing the key to return to the lock position on occasion. Turning the steering wheel a little left and right can allow the steering lock to seat, allowing the key to go to lock.
When the tumbler for the key starts going out, it often hangs (or hitches) going into the start position.
If I'm understanding correctly your motor won't turn off or go into the stop position? Or is it the lock position?
If it's the stop positon you are having trouble with, it is likely the tumbler or maybe the buzzer switch in the tumbler. Try jiggling the key a little and turn it rearwords, lightly. Try pushing the key in and jiggling a little. I've nursed sticky tumblers for awhile doing this, until I could make it to the parts store. If you have a spare key, try the spare. The keys do get worn down, along with the tumbler. A fresh ( not worn) key often helps a worn tumbler work for awhile longer.
The buzzer switch in the end of the tumbler is easy to bend and can keep the key from seating correctly. They often get bent when replacing a tumbler.
Tumblers typically last about 5-7 years, the replacement tumblers a few years, depending on the operator. My wife seems to have a talent for screwing them up, mine last forever. If it hangs a little and you often force it, it will wear out quick.

have a five speed... the key was stuck in the on... running position... i pulled agreen plug going into a small blck box located at the highest point rearward. an center in the engine bay.. that shut off the engine... disconectd the batterie because the interior accesoris still working but still cant turn the ignition to off... can start but no off

xjwisconsin said:
have a five speed... the key was stuck in the on... running position... i pulled agreen plug going into a small blck box located at the highest point rearward. an center in the engine bay.. that shut off the engine... disconectd the batterie because the interior accesoris still working but still cant turn the ignition to off... can start but no off

Ok the ignition is two parts, the lock/key cylinder in the column and the actual switch is cable operated down under the dash, bolted on top of the column.
Remove the switch down on the column first, then you can tell which part is froze up.

just finished removing the dash and got down the actual switch on the couumn... seems to be working just fine... so must be in the lock/cylinder.... ? whats the best way to go about this... any help would be apreciated... also now that I fucked around with it Im not sure here th switch is set...

Back