• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U Joint Spooge

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
So, Spent about 2-3 hours on some pretty rocky trail Sat. Hosed her down good this morning, and drove about an hour home. Creep around underneath to check out what all those scraping sounds on the trail were...and this is what I find.

Front DS ujoint- stock with 97k on it, is all wet with grease on the "back side" and has thrown grease spooge all over the nearby parts, LCA etc. Visually, it looks to be intact, but the entire back of the joint- that which is not facing the front of the vehicle has grease all over it.

Rear DS u joint- Tom Woods gold seal with less than 10k on it, from the slip joint back, it looks like it has sprayed grease spooge all over the under side of the truck. It's on all forward facing surfaces, axle, gas tank, floor of the truck etc. There is no deposits on any rear facing surfaces. This U joint is not covered in grease. Looks like some of the grease may actually be from the slip joint??

So, this grease only comes out when OVER FILLED, correct??? or is this a sign of immenent doom??? :dunno: I did look for the obvious engine oil/tranny fluid/tcase fluid leaks with none found.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I didn't read what you wrote, but that is the best title ever.

[FONT=&quot]Sounds like you lubed the driveshaft slip joints and the excess came out when the driveshafts were compressed while wheeling.
Many or most driveshafts have a hole, at the axle end, for venting of excess slip joint grease.[/FONT]

lazyxj said:
[FONT=&quot]Sounds like you lubed the driveshaft slip joints and the excess came out when the driveshafts were compressed while wheeling.
Many or most driveshafts have a hole, at the axle end, for venting of excess slip joint grease.[/FONT]
That's what I'm hoping....I got some really good flex up front. It's bumpstopped just right, and lots of droop available. There really were no vibes on the way home, up to 80mph (gotta pass the slow pokes...:D ), very minor if any, and I've got some rock rash on one of the wheels, and the steering is slightly off center. I'm thinking an alignment check, and balance/rotate should solve those.

Ramsey said:
I didn't read what you wrote, but that is the best title ever.
Thanks man....:wave:

Back