• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing axle-side UCA mounts

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Planning for a lift and I looked at the axle-side UCA bushings thinking I would cut out the rubber and chisel out the cup but I got lucky and the rubber is already gone... I suspect the bushing cup has heat-joined to the axle at this point and may have to be machined out or the UCA mounts may need to be replaced. Experience? Recommendations?

Thanks

Maybe I've just had good luck, but I've always used a hammer/chisel to cave in the backside of the bushing (side without the flange) and been able to pop it through.

Maybe a ball joint press for the passenger side one? I don't really remember exactly how I did mine.

My old rear leaf bushings were like that, I just cut one of em out and apparently it's working great for TYphoon... it's more of a layer of rust that joins the two than an actual layer of metal, it will probably chip out rather nicely with a chisel. I agree with MoparManiac, torch it and whack the crap out of it with a chisel and eventually it'll pop out one way or another.

If all else fails, a new axle at the pick-n-pull will run you about a hundred bucks... assuming it doesn't have the same problem.

A ball joint press will do it if you have the proper sleeve.Otherwise a simple cut with a hacksaw or sawzall and youll be able to push them out by hand!

Take a hack saw blade in one of those jab saws that hold a hacksaw blade. Cut a line the length of the metal sleeve almost through the sleeve then take a chisel or punch and collapse the sleeve into the middle and it should pull out fairly easily.

Back