• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody with a stock un-molested XJ? Can you grab a measurement for me?

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
If anybody has a stock XJ (no lift!) as well as a protractor/angle finder, can you tell me what angle the front axle-side shock mounts are at?

I am guessing if I can match this measurement as best as possible on my lifted rig I should be pretty close to ballparking the caster angle!

Much appreciated....thanks!

I'll go check my new rig right now...let me find my angle finder dealio.

~Scott

Blah, no luck finding my harbor freight angle finder. But I eye balled the shock mount, it looks like it's pointing down 3-5 degrees if anything (so I suppose in relation to the ground they are at 183 degree ish).

~Scott

Sorry, since the shock is not firmly bolted to the axle (unlike a mcphearson setup), you will not be able to extrapolate caster from it.

Caster specs are in the FSM. You may want to work it backwards. Take the caster you need, and figure the CA lengths.

Ron

Why not measure your castor directly?

In order to measure castor directly you'd need to pop out the balljoints and put a rod through the "C" and measure that.

I know there is the trick using the differential cover bolts and using the formula (different forumlas for high and low pinion Dana 30's)

What do you mean the shock is not attached firmly to the axle? I am talking about the flat piece of steel which is welded to the axle tube that has the two holes in it to mount the shock to. I was thinking that regardless of high or low pinion this mount should be at relatively the same angle (if no lift and any other incorrect rotation of the axle)

Am I wrong, no? All of the alignment shops I have taken it to do not adjust caster, just toe and the steering wheel. So from there on it is basically just guess until you get caster right, I'd like a more formidable method....although not 100% accurate, an accurate and easy way of determining if you are in the ballpark for caster or not.

In order to measure castor directly you'd need to pop out the balljoints and put a rod through the "C" and measure that.

I know there is the trick using the differential cover bolts and using the formula (different forumlas for high and low pinion Dana 30's)

What do you mean the shock is not attached firmly to the axle? I am talking about the flat piece of steel which is welded to the axle tube that has the two holes in it to mount the shock to. I was thinking that regardless of high or low pinion this mount should be at relatively the same angle (if no lift and any other incorrect rotation of the axle)

Am I wrong, no? All of the alignment shops I have taken it to do not adjust caster, just toe and the steering wheel. So from there on it is basically just guess until you get caster right, I'd like a more formidable method....although not 100% accurate, an accurate and easy way of determining if you are in the ballpark for caster or not.

Those shops should be checking the caster during an alignment. You can adjust the caster with shims or change the control arm lengths.

Find a better alignment shop.

Right, I understand how to adjust caster. I have all adjustable arms with drop brackets.

Also the alignment shops "check" the caster (IE they know what it IS) but they do not mess with correcting it. I suppose in a stock independent suspension situation they would but with aftermarket adjustable arms on a modified Jeep they don't want to mess.

Regardless....

Last edited:
All you need to do is remove the grease zerk from the upper ball joint and place your angle finder there!No math required.

Closer than you want it to be!!

Sorry, since the shock is not firmly bolted to the axle (unlike a mcphearson setup), you will not be able to extrapolate caster from it.

Caster specs are in the FSM. You may want to work it backwards. Take the caster you need, and figure the CA lengths.

Ron
That's why he wants the angle of the shock mount, not the shock itself ;)

You know, the metal plate that the spring perch is on.

I'd help out but I lifted my XJ... good luck! You should also ask for an angle finder reading on the "level" ground it's sitting on I would think, could be a few degrees off without anyone really noticing.

Jeeps don't need no stinking level ground!!!! :party:

All you need to do is remove the grease zerk from the upper ball joint and place your angle finder there!No math required.

This is so easy.........

don't you want to measure it vertically, not horizontally?

I have actually tried using the upper balljoint. The "protractor" actually sits level on it without removing the zerk. However I could never see what the measurement was due to the fact that I was holding it level and there was a piece of large rubber meat in front of it...

Theres an easy fix for that also.....

Back