• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some recommendations...

TurtleBoyPW5

NAXJA Forum User
2000 xj rustys steering components, ford 8.8 4:10, sye, tom woods drive shaft, OME heavy duty 2" springs, OME leafs, OME shocks and stabilizer, 30" bfgs (might be 31 have to look), rustys lower adjustable control arms, every skid known for a xj

This is my DD and I wheel it occasionally, nothing too rough. 153xxx, about 100-110xxx on the lift

Heres my problem, the front has been off ever since I bought it, by off I mean the driver side front wheel is farther forward and the passenger front wheel is farther back. Never was a problem, but it has begun shift more and more. Now if I have to brake quickly or the suspension bottoms out (shocks are likely shot so it happens) the tires will rub all over the place. It has gotten so bad that the passenger side tire smashed the plastic wheel well liner and was cut up by the metal beneath. The vibration and noise on the highway is significantly louder than previously and the ride which has never been smooth is also much worst. Plus I am driving several hundred miles at a time now while I am trying to land a job as a LEO.

I am taking it in to several shops to get opinions of what the heck needs to be fixed. I am thinking the control arms are to blame in some fashion? The stock uppers look sound but do not look perfectly straight along the edges, maybe ill take a pic. Anyways with the age of the suspension lift should I replace the control arms (assuming thats the problem) and add a spacer and shackle lift to allow more clearance along with new shocks or ??? I am a bit lost, still a noob. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :worship:

Sounds like it is built pretty tough for it's size. There are some threads here about alignment, and how one side is purposely put a little further forward...but I do not know much about that. I would search it. Step one is definitely get new shocks. 2 - replace the bushings in your control arms, or replace the arms all together if you feel they are not straight. 3 - go get it aligned by someone that knows what they are doing.

If it is "shifting" more and more, it has to be the arms and/or the bushings in them, as that is all that holds the axle in position front to back. I think after doing those three things, it should ride a lot better. I would only add a spacer and block to lift it higher if it is absolutely necessary. If you lift the front, the track bar and drag link will need to be adjusted to compensate equally, and you could run into some geometry issues that will then need fixing. With new control arms properly adjusted, the axle should be returned to proper positioning, making it so when it comes up during braking or flex, it goes to the right place.

Good luck!

One shop finally gave it a good look around. Passenger side control arm, wheel bearing, and axle joint are shot. Also stated that since I have stock rims with 10.5 tires that they will rub the control arms regardless of lift due to the rims not being spaced out far enough. My question now is I am going to be replacing lower control arms, bearing, joint, shocks all around should I replace the steering stabilizer, springs and leafs? The lift does have a ton of miles on it, I also could do spacers and shackles, what would have to be adjusted if it was lifted higher?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am thinking shocks OME and lower control arms Iron Man extreme duty.

Back