• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick question

uvaldetxj

NAXJA Forum User
can anyone explain to me why you have to mark the positions of the ring gear on the carrier, whenever you remove the carrier from the differential? also, what is the importance of making sure that the thrust washers and bearing caps go back in the same spots as they were in, for example if you were installing a lunchbox locker? A few years ago I had to replace a carrier and i just put the ring gear on how i saw fit. Wouldn't the carrier or the ring and pinion have messed up by now if something was in the wrong place. I don't remember marking the bearing caps or anything when I did that.

FYI it was a dana 30.

87' xj
d30 lockrite
np231
d44 welded

Its a good idea to re-install the gear as it came off due to any run-out the carrier "might" have,but its probably not required.As for the bearing caps,you absolutely need them back on the way they came off!

The "mark and re-assemble" rules are way old and started back when parts were individually hand fitted. Modern manufacturing methods have eliminated most hand fitting, but not because tolerances are that much better. When building those axles and transmissions and engines there isn't just one big pile of parts--they are separated by tolerances and assembled in a best-fit manner.

While you can switch parts around and maybe never experience a problem, one day it will bite you in the A** big time. If you screw up your own rig you are just out some money and sweat. You screw up a customer's rig, well, your A** belongs to them.

Back