• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electric fan problem

XJadam

NAXJA Forum User
Ok heres the deal. On my 99 2door XJ, my electric fan will not turn on when the jeep gets hot. However it will turn on when I turn the heat on.

SO......I know that the fan works however, I am not sure why it is doing what it is doing. Is some type of relay broken? I would like to fix this but I am not sure where to start.

Any help would be great.

Thank you in advance

Adam

The fan should come on with the AC, defrost mode, or when the coolant temp reaches ~218. Are you sure it's coming on with the heat, and not the defroster? How hot is the Jeep getting without the fan coming on?

yes the defrost was on. My temp guage was in the middle, pointing straight up. It has never gotten that hot. Usually the fan will turn on when it is close to straight up. I know something is cooking, because I smell coolant

Isn't temp gage in the middle good? Mine (IIRC) is 210. Coolant smell may be a leak. With defrost on does your windshield steam up? That means a leaky heater core. Hopefully not your issue.

As wb said, straight up is 210, so it shouldn't come on until it gets past that. The cts in the t-stat housing tells the pcm what the temp is, which then tells the fan to turn on or not.

Back