• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cutting stock front bumper...? (searched)

cuboulder96xj

NAXJA Forum User
what are the benefits of chopping the front stocker bumper? is it worth the time? (see pic below for an example...delp1213, i'm sorry but i had to steal this pic from colorado4x4.org since you have the only pics of cut stock bumpers online:D )

DSCF0625.jpg

I cut mine front and rear just becaues I thought it looked better. I had dented the corners in on both the front and rear, so it gave me alittle bit of clearance, but mostly it was just for looks.

LED1.jpg

Eventually the bottom outside corners of your stock bumpers will get munched if you don't chop them. It's easier to cut them before they are bent out of shape than after.

Mine got a lot worse than this before I finally replaced it with an aftermarket unit

FrontRight.jpg

RalphXJ said:
I cut mine front and rear just becaues I thought it looked better. I had dented the corners in on both the front and rear, so it gave me alittle bit of clearance, but mostly it was just for looks.

LED1.jpg
i think that looks good..got anymore pics?

what are you guys using to cut your bumpers? i am planning on doing this on my 01 does a swaz-all cut straight enough?
thanks

I would think if you mark it out properly (marker or grease pencil) and stick to the line it should cut straight enuf. an angle grinder or anything that will cut metal would work tho.
just take your time,

has anyone plated the end of the bumper in w/ sheet metal after cutting the corner off? just to clean up the look from the side, if so, i would like to see pics, i will prob be doin that w/ mine

Ok, SORRY to revive a dead thread but I have a legitimate question so rather than starting a new one, I'll use the existing thread.

I have an '87 XJ so I have the vacuum thingy sitting up in the bumper on the passenger side. When you taper cut the front bumper, what did you do with the vacuum doomaflachee? (I think it's a vacuum booster or whatever) Also, on the drivers side, did you guys move your horn or leave it there? Thanks!

BruceB83 said:
Ok, SORRY to revive a dead thread but I have a legitimate question so rather than starting a new one, I'll use the existing thread.

I have an '87 XJ so I have the vacuum thingy sitting up in the bumper on the passenger side. When you taper cut the front bumper, what did you do with the vacuum doomaflachee? (I think it's a vacuum booster or whatever) Also, on the drivers side, did you guys move your horn or leave it there? Thanks!
I mounted my horn where my air box used to be. K & N ! The vaccum reservoir can just lay between the coil and distributor, or mount it under the coolant reservoir. Just reroute the lines back thru the header panel and plug it back in. Just be careful, as old as your XJ is they will be brittle. Mine were.

rhino317 said:
yah i want to do it but i think i will fubar it
Nothing that flexable vac hoses can't fix. I'm going to mount mine at some point. Upgrades take presedence over anything like that. Plus I rolled it a month ago and had lots of repairs to do. Flop actually !
Just the drivers side got screwed up and one corner of the roof line. Oh and rear window and windshield and a driveline and hood latch and on and on and on. :helpme:

640%20Flop.jpg

boise49ers said:
I mounted my horn where my air box used to be. K & N ! The vaccum reservoir can just lay between the coil and distributor, or mount it under the coolant reservoir. Just reroute the lines back thru the header panel and plug it back in. Just be careful, as old as your XJ is they will be brittle. Mine were.

Ok...so the existing hoses are long enough to just re-route up into the engine compartment somewhere. Cool. I'll do that. Thanks man!

I used black door edge moulding on mine after I cut it, cleaned it up a little and also prevents me from cutting myself on it

I rerouted the vacuum thingee up into the bay near the pdc. The horns are both inside the center section of the bumper. After cutting with a 4.5 cutoff, I switched to a flap and smoothed it out. Painted it black and never looked back.

Back