• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

washer fluid pump

what year XJ? I'd bet on the junkyard personally.

I did my 98 a year or two ago, I think the pump was $15 or something from advance or national. The biggest PIA was removing the wheel well liner to get at the dam tank. After 40 min of screwing with it I finally gave up, grabbed the floor jack, jacked it, removed the tire/wheel, sat with a push pin puller and go the whole thing apart, replaced it and reassembled.

If it's a 97-up, do not bother to remove the whole liner. You can just pull the front back and get enough access to the pump. It will pop back. The pump just pushes into a grommet on the tank, so you can pull it right out. Catch the fluid if you have a lot in the tank. The front pump is the lower one, and the rear above it. Just to make things nice, they use different plugs. They also differ from the pre-97 pumps, which were held on by a threaded fitting. I just did a temporary repair on mine. A horrible design, subject to rust. Mine seized up, so I drilled out the rivets, and took the impeller off, and lubed the bearing. Put it back together with little screws. It worked for a day, and then stopped again, so I looked, and sure enough, the metal housing had rusted through and seized the back bearing too. So I just poked the hole a little bigger, lubed that as well, and taped a film can over the housing to protect it. Sprays like new again now!

I am waging an ongoing battle with "non-repairable" parts. I also milled the rivets off the rear wiper motor and repaired it. There's no good excuse for riveting these things together!

The Autozone replacement pumps for the 97+ have a pigtail to adapt the pump for either front or rear use- you need the pigtail to use it for the front. I didn't have much trouble getting the liner out, but I still think hiding a reservoir and 2 pumps inside a fender is a horrible idea.

Back