• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TV cable replacement

okcjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
After replacing my cracked manifold,I noticed that my TV cable is begining to fray where it slides into the housing. Has anyone ever replaced the TV cable? I assume it is a dealer only part. How does it connect to the transmission. Is it something easy to replace? Cost?

Thanks

okcjeeper said:
After replacing my cracked manifold,I noticed that my TV cable is begining to fray where it slides into the housing. Has anyone ever replaced the TV cable? I assume it is a dealer only part. How does it connect to the transmission. Is it something easy to replace? Cost?

Thanks
As far as a new one I would suggest either a junkyard or trying an aftermarket parts store. Dealer would be my last choice. To remove and install...
Disconnect from throttle body
Cut zip ties that may be holding it
Drop the trans. pan
Unbolt 10mm bolt on side of tranny right by it
The TV cable winds around a spool looking thing inside the tranny. Just take it off, put the new one on, and you're done.
If you have any more questions just post up here.
-Collin

BigBlackHeep said:
As far as a new one I would suggest either a junkyard or trying an aftermarket parts store. Dealer would be my last choice. To remove and install...
Disconnect from throttle body
Cut zip ties that may be holding it
Drop the trans. pan
Unbolt 10mm bolt on side of tranny right by it
The TV cable winds around a spool looking thing inside the tranny. Just take it off, put the new one on, and you're done.
If you have any more questions just post up here.
-Collin

Thanks! I did not realize you would have to drop the tranny pan. That does sound like a PIA though. I only have an apartment complex parking lot to work in. I have heard horror stories of droppin the tranny pan with regard to the dipstick housing not wanting to come loose. This definately does not sound fun!

okcjeeper said:
Thanks! I did not realize you would have to drop the tranny pan. That does sound like a PIA though. I only have an apartment complex parking lot to work in. I have heard horror stories of droppin the tranny pan with regard to the dipstick housing not wanting to come loose. This definately does not sound fun!
It's really not too big of a hassle man. Sometimes the dipstick oring can be stuck but usually it's not bad. I have very little mechanical experience and have done it (the TV cable) twice. All I can say is don't pay to have someone do it, it's too easy of a job.

Back