• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

H.D. Offroad Engineering Roof Slider Install v2.0

IllianaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
This post is a followup to the one originally made by Brian of H.D.O.E. You can find his thread here: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1008853&highlight=roof+slider

*Note* If you have a full length roof rack (i.e. rack goes all the way to the windshield) some of this will not apply to you. If you have a shorty rack (00-01 IIRC) or do not have a factory rack, your install will be different. I will go over the differences below.

Tools Needed:

- T25 torx bit
- 1/4" ratchet
- 9/16" wrenches (one box end and one gearwrench work best)

Optional Tools:

- 1/2" drill bit
- 3/8" socket

Hardware:

- Bolts, washers and nuts for slider rack provided by H.D.O.E.
- Original roof rack hardware retained for reuse

Optional Hardware:

- 1/4 x 20 well nuts (available at local hardware or farm stores)
- 1/4 x 20 x 1 bolts
- 1/4" washers

DSCN0365.jpg

Full Rack Installation:

1) Remove factory roof rack. Make sure and retain the bolts, you will use them again later. (If you lose a couple, they are M6 x 1.0 thread)

2) Place runners on the roof, line up holes with stock nutserts, bolt down with stock bolts and provided washers.

DSCN0376.jpg

You can see here how the runners contour to the XJ roof:

DSCN0372.jpg

3) Place crossbars on the roof in position. Take note that there is an up and down to these. In order to clear the roof, they must be oriented correctly.

DSCN0377.jpg

4) Hold the slider tubes up to the runners and slide a bolt through slider, runner and crossbar. Spin the nut on, but don't tighten yet. Repeat all the way down on both sides.

5) Tighten bolts.

6) Go wheelin!

Shorty Rack Installation:

1) Follow above steps 1-5, but unfortunately you're not done yet.

2) Mark the two holes you don't have nutserts for. You will also need to mark the runners for the nutserts that don't line up. On my 01, only the back two lined up.

3) Pull the whole rack back off.

4) Center punch and drill the holes.

DSCN0367.jpg

DSCN0368.jpg

5) Drill the runners where marked for the nutserts.

6) Install the well nuts into the holes. I put a bit of silicone around them just to ward off water intrusion.

DSCN0375.jpg

7) Place the rack back on the roof, this time for good. You will probably need to place washers on top of the well nuts to keep them from popping through the runner holes. Make sure and push down on the runner while tightening the well nuts, they expand as you tighten and won't get the correct grip if the runner isn't tight against the roof.

8) Go wheelin!

No Factory Rack Installation:

1) Assemble the slider rack on the ground. Tighten up the bolts/nuts.

2) Place the rack on the roof, mark the holes.

3) Center punch and drill the holes; either for the well nuts or regular bolts. Your preference (see notes below).

4) Complete installation by whichever method you choose.

Notes:

- This is my first experience using well nuts for this type of item. I will report back if they pull out or come loose. I'm pretty confident they will work out fine.
- If you do not have a factory roof rack, I would think about pulling your headliner down and running bolts and nuts all the way through. It would be much stronger than well nuts all the way down.

More pics:

DSCN0378.jpg

DSCN0381.jpg

DSCN0382.jpg

I really like these, but think they would look much better if they curved down at the front, to follow the body lines and keep branched from hooking into the tube a bit.
or a piece that goes from one side to the other at the front... like the halo part of an exo cage.

either way its a nice piece of work, and a pretty imaginative idea to be produced.

and nice write up to boot.

I really like these, but think they would look much better with some curves at the front...
or a piece that goes from one side to the other at the front... like the halo part of an exo cage.

either way its a nice piece of work, and a pretty imaginative idea to be produced.

and nice write up to boot.

Agreed. Eventually I will be adding tube down the A pillar to the fenders and down the back to the rear bumper as a halfway exocage.

Thanks!

Great write up Byron. Nice work on the pics and step by step instructions. :thumbup:

Thats a good write up and a really nice Jeep. However I work in a glass shop and you never want to use silicone on and metal. Urethane repels water better. I see this in California when someone has a leak they use silicone and it starts to cause a problem with rust.

What is the measurements of the front 2 bars in reference to the roof including the height of the top of the second bar. I want to see if this will work with my sunroof.

1251818715_ORIG.jpg

1251818709_ORIG.jpg

I don't think it will work. I will take a pic for you tomorrow. The bars are only 1/2" from the roofline, but you may get lucky enough to have the glass slide over the bar.

Nice write up.

beakie- keep in mind. Less bending and time producing the product the more savings that will get passed on to customers buying the product.

Stukboy

I don't think it will work. I will take a pic for you tomorrow. The bars are only 1/2" from the roofline, but you may get lucky enough to have the glass slide over the bar.

The glass angles up pretty high so if I could get the dimension to the top of the second bar and the dimension of where it lies on the roof I would be able to tell if it will. I think it might but I just want to make sure.

CherBear said:
Sunroof?!?!

Yes. It came on the Cherokee when I bought it. I like it and want to keep it functional.

The glass angles up pretty high so if I could get the dimension to the top of the second bar and the dimension of where it lies on the roof I would be able to tell if it will. I think it might but I just want to make sure.

Yes. It came on the Cherokee when I bought it. I like it and want to keep it functional.

I don't currently have a set installed, Byron (Illiana) might be able to help out with dims....

From the windshield weatherstrip to the first bar - 9 1/2"

From the windshield weatherstrip to the second bar - 27 1/2"

Distance between the first and second bars - 18"

Bar height from the roofline - 1"

To the top of the bar from the roofline - 2"

Hope that helps.

They look good Byron, I don't know if I'll get them now though it'll look like i'm copying you since I got that bumper! :D

here's some pics of them in use

DSCF1132.jpg

DSCF1133.jpg

DSCF1134.jpg

mac 'protect your gutters!' gyvr

Back