• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Antenna mounting?

cobra handheld/firestick/custom mount behind taillight...
its half of a radio shack mirror mount bolted to a piece of metal tucked behind the taillight...

a1033703-4-antenna.jpg

I'm running a 4' Firestick II(adjustable), with a heavy duty Firestick spring and stud mount. The bracket/mount is a homebrew that I welded up and dipped in red Plasticoat(tool handle coating). I've got one on each side, the other side has my scanner antenna on it. Here is a pic.

dsc001045qu.jpg

I agree that it is "vulnerable". One close encounter with a tree trunk and its over with. Tree limbs really don't effect it with the spring thats on there though. This was my daily driver untill a month ago so now that I wheel it a little harder, I will probably see some breakage, that will give me an excuse to weld something better up!

I had one like that little thing that mounts off the taillight, hanging off the side of the vehicle. Killed it within two wheeling trips and ended up pulling the bolts through the unibody and making a big mess of the taillight area. Doesn't work too well for pivoting around trees and rocks.

Then it moved to my roofrack and got killed in my school parking garage. Next...

Then I put it on the front bumper and haven't moved it since. This is by far my favorite spot for it that I've had yet. Doesn't get in the way of anything, has decent enough range, and it doubled as a height gauge so I could tell if my tire/roofrack/lights were gonna clear or not.

trxus1.jpg

Now, two years and a hell of a buildup later, it's still in that same spot, and will continue to be for a while until I find a reason to change it.

Back