• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bumper weight

Ritter4.0

NAXJA Forum User
Is it bad if my rear bumper weighs close to 100lbs? Without the tire carrier. I have lower quarter guards welded on made of 1/4" steel, main bumper is 3/16" x 4"x4" and mounts/tie ins are 1/4". I plan on adding a tire carrier to it that will hold a 33" tire on a steel rim

Why does it matter? I don't have a clue what my bumper weighs...I'm sure it's around 80lbs though.Unless you have a problem with sagging leafs or something, don't worry about what it weighs. :thumbup:~Scott

Yeah, cause it does kinda lower the COG. Whoever decides its a good idea to rear end me is gonna have a bad day.

Damn 100 lbs! Mine can be put on by one person. Probably around 50 lbs. I use 1/8 2x3 and 3/16 plate for tie ins and the bottom half. There is no problem with a heavy bumper other then maybe saggin springs a little sooner and hurting take off and braking some. I like to save where i can because 50 lbs here and there adds up.

My front winch bumper weighs 100 lbs without the winch.

For a rear bumper, 100 lbs seems a bit excessive. If its already built, you may as well run it. Or maybe try selling it and building a new one?

Damn 100 lbs! Mine can be put on by one person. Probably around 50 lbs. I use 1/8 2x3 and 3/16 plate for tie ins and the bottom half. There is no problem with a heavy bumper other then maybe saggin springs a little sooner and hurting take off and braking some. I like to save where i can because 50 lbs here and there adds up.
1/8inch? Are you serious? I dont think 3/16 is enough for a bumper!

How heavy are those ones that JCR and C-ROK and C4X4 make that have the quarter guards integrated? I will try to post pics of what mine looks like right now later tonight. Its still in the making process, so I am still taking off a little bit of weight.

Here are pictures of it so far. I still need to weld a lot more

DSCN7213.jpg

DSCN7214.jpg

Clevis tabs with 1" hole
DSCN7215.jpg

Bumper mounts
DSCN7216.jpg

DSCN7217.jpg

I will be welding were the red is on both sides and top
DSCN7218.jpg

This is how far the clevis tabs will stick out
DSCN7219.jpg

Could of been, but my dad said it was a trailer tongue. = FREE
The quarter guards are from 1/4" sidewalk edging = FREE, I have lots of it
Mounts and Angle were free too.

So far the only costs on this thing were the cut off disks, and gas for the welder that I have not yet hooked up.

Do you think my clevis tabs will be stong enough the way I am welding them in?

How come roll cages are made of 1/8th wall tubing? And the jeeps unibody is 1/16 inch and thinner in some areas? Its all about design. You just have to build strenth into it. If i hit something hard enough to bend the bumper then at least all the energy didn't go straight to the unibody.

How come roll cages are made of 1/8th wall tubing? And the jeeps unibody is 1/16 inch and thinner in some areas? Its all about design. You just have to build strenth into it. If i hit something hard enough to bend the bumper then at least all the energy didn't go straight to the unibody.

Because the unibody is not desigend to come into direct contact with rocks, sometimes supporting a fair amount of the weight of the vehicle. I have some deep gouges in my rock rails, and TNT belly plate that would have torn the stock sheetmetal to pieces. Especially if you are planning on using your rock rails or bumper as an air tank. Personally i have found .250 ( 1/4) to be acceptable for me. What are you using ted?

As far as building strength, that takes shape, and the wings on your bumper have none. Maybe cut and fold the rear quarters then use some box where they used to be?:dunno:

Because the unibody is not desigend to come into direct contact with rocks, sometimes supporting a fair amount of the weight of the vehicle. I have some deep gouges in my rock rails, and TNT belly plate that would have torn the stock sheetmetal to pieces. Especially if you are planning on using your rock rails or bumper as an air tank. Personally i have found .250 ( 1/4) to be acceptable for me. What are you using ted?

As far as building strength, that takes shape, and the wings on your bumper have none. Maybe cut and fold the rear quarters then use some box where they used to be?:dunno:

This isn't my bumper. Mine is boxed in and 1/4s are cut and folded like you said. All places the will hit rocks are 3/16". I feel like 1/4 is overkill to build a whole bumper out of but thats just my opinion.

Ritter, It looks like how you have the dring mounts should be ok. Make sure you burn it in hot.

The "wings" are going to be bolted to the quarters. I am making a backing plate/nut strip to put on the inside, top and bottom, 8 countersunk 1/4" bolts to each side. Much like the C4x4 and JCR lower quater guards. So the "wings" are going to be supported by the body and vise versa. The lower edge of the "wings" is going to be cut and folded and rewelded to protect the bottom of the quarter panels

I dont plan on using this as an air tank (I already have one), I am just making this bumper because I can. This is my DD/ occasional wheeler.

I am saving the quarter panels because I store stuff in them.

for anyone just seeing this thread, refer to my the first post for the dimensions of the material I am using

Back