• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to buy Unit Bearings?

stumpXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Where is the cheapest place to buy unit bearings assemblies?

Best price I have found is $150 bucks, is that as good as it gets?

~James

Last edited:
Last edited:
is it really worth it to get the Timken bearings?
ie, i have an 87 d30 and this ebay auction has a PAIR of bearings with a 1 year warranty for 114$ shipped. I know the timken's are supposed to be good, but for the same warranty length why spend the extra 90$?

ebay auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-8...ies?hash=item3ef54354ba&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

For what it's worth. One of my timken bearings went bad within a week or was just bad from the factory. I saw it leaking grease right along the seal. I emailed rockauto and they had a new one in the mail that day and I think they paid shipping for the old one back.

Good luck getting that type of service from an ebay seller and unknown bearing company.

For what it's worth. One of my timken bearings went bad within a week or was just bad from the factory. I saw it leaking grease right along the seal. I emailed rockauto and they had a new one in the mail that day and I think they paid shipping for the old one back.

Good luck getting that type of service from an ebay seller and unknown bearing company.

+1

i just put new timken bearings on my front. from other bearings, i feel like this one is all around better built.

this is JOeJOe under my red-name

i would much rather spend money on American made products, but being a college student, every 50$ helps...
i had read other places that Timken bearings are made all over the world, not just the USA, but for the extra 50$ i think i'll get them from MI Bearings, seems like a great product, and those small companies are always super nice

DON'T buy the Falcon Steering brand hub units/wheel bearings.

I've had so many develop play. I've warrantied so many times that the small shop I bought them from has recently started to accuse me of attempting to warranty "AutoZone hubs" or improper installation or aftermarket wheels and tires being the cause. I've always used a torque wrench to torque ALL of the bolts properly, what a lame excuse on their part.

I won't be buying any other Falcon product ever again OR purchasing from that local store.

Called "Van Senus" for any of you northwest Indiana people. DEFINITELY NOT THE WAY TO TREAT THEIR LEGITIMATE CUSTOMERS!

Screw it, I just oreded two of the ones in thelink above. Two new unit bearings for $82.24 shipped to my house. I will report back once they get here.

~James

They say "Falcon Steering" on the box.

http://www.falconsteering.com/asp/falconhome_950.asp

The Precision brand should be alright. I bought a Precision universal joint from the same said store (Van Senus) above and returned home to find that the Joint had been damaged in a previous installation attempt causing rust on a few of the bearing caps as well as more than a few needle bearings being crushed.

When I returned to the store to exchange for a new one I was accused of trying to press it in incorrectly. Which is really a compliment on their part if they thought I could drive the same vehicle back about 20 minutes later and attempt to press it in incorrectly and then reassemble it back together to drive it back to the store!

All in all the Precision ujoint has play in it now but I think that's because I didn't grease it, whatever grease was in it when it was in the box is what it got.

See I won't shop there anymore because they treat customers like garbage with their own senseless dumb opinions. Or you know they expect I'm dumb because I'm most likely half their age or less! That sort of bs....

I am trying to get less people to shop there if at all possible. I just attempted to warranty a hub last Thursday and was told it was entirely different. Apparently he pulled another one off the shelf that had an ORANGE SEAL as well as beveled edges on the hub flange compared to my hub which had a black seal and square edges on the hub flange. So they wouldn't warranty it and I'm stuck with a piece of crap that has so much play that it clunks when I make turns and is about 10 months old.... Apparnetly design changes never occur, at least in their mind.

Last edited:
So... the ones in the MIBearings (supposedly "made in the USA") link have the exact same picture as in this amazon assembly. http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Automotive-Industries-513084-Assembly/dp/B000YE58XQ

The amazon link above has the unit bearings for $41 bucks with free shipping.

It know they arent timkens, but has anyone tried them with success?

~James

I'm not 100%, but I feel that The MI Bearing hub assemblies use Timken bearings in the hub assembly (the Timken logo is at the top of their site), and it's the machine work of the hub components and assembly (press bearing into 'body', attach hub) is what they do. The picture is likely a file photo, or the amazon folks stole it (as they're not really a traditional company so they can hide behind a computer somewhere). You see 'same picture' stuff frequently among off road parts sites and ebay. Of course, the brick-n-mortar companies usually go through the trouble to write a good description and legally acquire a picture of said product.

If anyone is interested in this, feel free to contact them, or have me contact them and ask them this. I'll also inquire how much USA components and labor they use in their parts as well.
Thanks,
Matt:us:

Back