• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me figure out this noise.

MadPikAvenger

NAXJA Forum User
So my Jeep will randomly make this awful noise when braking. When it starts making the noise it will make it pretty consistently for the rest of my journey. Like I said it shows up randomly though, sometimes it won't make the noise at all, sometimes it won't the noise until I'm almost home, and sometimes it will be making it before I get out of my apartment complex. The only way I can seem to make it make the noise somewhat consistently is if I apply the brakes pretty hard, even if I'm only going like 10 mph. I had a shop near my house look at it and they said caliper looked good and nothing was leaking but they couldn't tell more without taking it apart.

Also, this is the first time it has made the noise in about a month and has been making it for the past couple of days.

Anyway here's the a video I took this morning of my Jeep making the noise. It seems to come from the front right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPvQsM8rB9I

My XJ: 3.5" RE Super Ride kit. 265/75r16 Nitto Terra Grapplers. RE Mono-tubes

Last edited:
I can not tell much from the video but any time the brakes or whatever is making this much noise, you should stop driving it immediately and find the cause. You may be endangering yourself and other by not doing so.
You may have a unit bearing letting go or a bad brake caliper.

Good luck

I don't have ABS, the noise showed up a little while after having new pads put on so I'm thinking it's probably just the pads wearing weird and occasionally glazing up or something. It stops without pulling in either direction so it doesn't seem like the caliper isn't closing all the way or anything.

Did you"bed" the brake pads?Did you turn the rotors?

I'm not sure. I left it with a mechanic friend while I was out of town but based on the previous work he's done for me and his drag racing and demo derby cars I'd say he likely did the job right. Only thing I can think of is the rotors didn't get turned.

Back