• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lock right owners

89eliminator

NAXJA Forum User
i just got a lock right for the front axle and was looking for some feedback on them by anyone that runs it. i was gonna get an Aussie but came across this NIB lock right for a ridiculous deal that i couldnt pass up.

My buddy used to have a 94 YJ with 34x10.50 TSL's and had lock rites front and rear (dana 30 and dana 35)

NEVER broke any shafts, which I thought was suprising because he definitely beat on it.

I'm thinking that since the lock rites did not allow power to only one wheel that the load on the axle shafts was split rather than the posibility of one wheel/axle shaft receiving 100% power.

Awesome "lockers" but I have also heard good things about the Aussie lockers!

Wow!

Likely a 2.5L. You have to have power to break stuff ;)

You have the operation of the lock-right wrong. If only one wheel has traction, that wheel gets all the power.
add: In general, all lockers do this, not just lunchbox lockers.

Open diffs: The inner and outer wheel can spin at different speeds. This avoids dragging one wheel around a corner. It also has the drawback of sending all the power to the wheel with the least traction.
LSD: An open diff with a clutch of some flavor to send some power to the wheel with the most traction.
Locker: Does what it says, locks both axle halves together. The resulting physics is that if you have one wheel in the air, and one on the ground, the one on the ground will get 100% of the power.

The Aussie is just a copy of the Richmond Gear design <or visa versa>

Ron

Last edited:
Nope, 4.2 with AX15. Dual lockrites, no SYE, 4" lift and new 34x10.50 Super Swampers.

Only time a shaft was broken was when the passenger side balljoints sheered and the wheel came "out" never broke a shaft from wheeling or beating on it on the street.

I wouldn't have believed it myself unless I had saw what that Dana 35 put up with!

I thought the lock right split the torque like an "awesome" limited slip. If not that Dana 35 put up with even more than I expected!

Didn't actually hear it. Just heard the tires chirping around the corners. When he swapped the TSL's with his brother's 32" Goodyear MTR's (before he sold the YJ) it barely made any noise around corners at all. Goodyear MTR's didn't grip the dry pavement as much as the TSL's did. Never heard the lockers make any noise. Although that is not usual, I hear they usually always make noise around corners especially during the break in period.

also, how "noisy" are they?

Only in tight turns...

Or...

In 4WD, every once and again will make a loud "click" sound.

Or...

In 2wd, in the winter, on ice. If you brake, and one wheel stops, the locker will rachet. Scares the crap out of you until you realize like is still good and you have a lunchbox locker up front.

Ron

In the front:
In 2wd, you won't squeel a tire, or see any abnormal tire wear because the locker is in "coast" mode (rachet).

In Coast, the locker allows the faster tire to go faster, thus the racheting sound from the locker, and none from the tire.

Blain, you'd be suprised how many times I have seen a front axle take out a lower ball joint. It's a leverage thing.

Ron

we put one in my buddies tj today as a matter of fact... the install is super easy and i dont know how we XXXXed it up, because when he drives it will lock up sometimes and jerk his steering wheel pretty hard... still dont understand it because my buddy with the xj has a lockrite on his and he has no problems at all

...,and i dont know how we XXXXed it up, because when he drives it will lock up sometimes and jerk his steering wheel pretty hard... still dont understand it,...
Might want to check the clearance between the drive clutches. 'Been a while, and I've forgotten what the measurements were or where to take them, but it's in the install instructions. Too wide gap,and the clutch will unlock unpredictably under load, too tight, and it can lock up unpredictable, which sounds like your friends problem

Back