• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

7 blades later-nothing track bar q

My axle side track bar bolt is seized to the metal sleeve in the bushing. So I went for the sawzall and no luck after 7 dewalt metal cutting blades?

Any ideas?

oh and yes I searched, and searched and searched. :hang: only thing i came up with suggested I do exactly what i did.

Have you been able to get the nut plate on the back of the bolt off? If so try soaking it with some PB for a couple of days then a few hard hits with a mini sledge right on the bolt head. If that fails get out the torch and heat it up but be careful as that will also melt the bushing.

should i try and burn the bushing out? or just heat it up and wrench it? will a small plumbers torch be okay? its all I have at the moment and i am a very poor college student. so poor I probably shouldn't have ever started this project-- but I never have been able to leave my vehicles alone.

I forgot how fun it can be to work on a 20 year old vehicle.

If you are talking about the axle side-

using a cutoff wheel on your electric grinder you bought at HF for 10-15 dollars, cut the nut and head off the bolt. Now bend the flange out some, allowing the Track Bar to drop.

Good luck!

If you can't get it like that, take pictures and we'll think of something new.

I'm borrowing a grinder from school this weekend and should have it done then. No progress as of yet. School and other responsibilities have been keepin me way away from Stella (my heep) lately so it's slow progress.

I feel your pain. I recall sitting in the pull-n-save with a hacksaw, cutting a track bar because the bolt head stripped out. It took over a half hour and a very sore arm to finally cut the sucker. 7 blades sounds like a lot. Don't run the sawz-all too fast or you'll just burn the blades up.

thanks lawson, i did exactly that :) oh well.

anyway for an update- it rained/snowed all day. so I didn't get to much done instead I went for a drive in the mountains with my wife and took her to a movie. gotta keep all my ladies happy.

Back