• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for Opinions on AT's

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
I need to buy a new set of AT's in about 8 months or so. I have 33" TOYO AT's and am not really happy with them. They have dry rot and are very loud for some reason. I do a lot of driving on the road and need something that will ride smooth and last a while. I go to the snow a few times a year and may use these tires on a few trail runs through the rubicon. I want to stick with 33's or possibly 32's but and not sure how a 32" tire will look on a 6" long arm kit. I plan on buying a DIY beedlock kit and some cheap steel wheels with some MT's for the trail down the road when I can afford it but for now I am looking for a good AT that will mainly be used on the street.

I've got BFG ATs in to 30" flavor. No bad habits displayed yet. Quiet on the street. I've heard they don't like rain all that much(low wet traction), but they haven't seen much wet pavement around here, and I haven't had any problems. I've only got about 10K on them now, but they aren't showing any unusual/accelerated wear.(using the 5-tire rotation)

EDIT: Surprised you didn't like the Toyos. 'Friend of mine ran the Toyo MTs, and they were pretty good for him. Open top CJ though, wind noise trumps everything in those.

I've been running BFG AT's for 10+ years. The last set I got are starting to dry rot crack after only a year. I guess they have changed the formulation of the rubber.

I previously had excellent luck with BFG AT's on a 4Runner I used to have about 10 years ago...
I put 35,000 on them before I sold it and they were at about half tread. They were amazing in the
snow! Mine were sized 33 X 9.50's.

I drove over an 11,000 foot pass in CO regularly in blizzards, and I give those tires all the credit for
keeping me on the road and out of the banks and ditches. I went with the narrower size knowing
that they would make great winter tires and they didn't fail.

They were pretty decent offroad - being narrow, they didn't float much (obviously), but they seemed
to rip down through mud fairly well and pull when they hit harder stuff underneath. of course they
aren't designed for mud, however if you get yourself into some and it's not too thick or deep
they will most likely pull you through it.

They were great on road... extremely quiet, excellent wear, great in the rain, even did great in
slush and IMHO that's the worst stuff to drive in, and a real test for an AT.

I would not hesitate to buy them again, and look forward to driving on another set in the near future.

Thanks for the opinions. Anyone ever run Goodyear wrangler AT's, Bridgestone AT's or Firestone AT's. So far I am leaning towards BFG but have seen a few complaints on them buldging bubbles in the side wall. Procomp AT's look good to but they seem kind of expensive for a brand that has not been on the market for that long compaired to other leading brands.

Ive always run BFG's,but Im extremely impressed with my new Goodyear Duratracs!
P1040486.jpg

I think for the best ride and all around capability you can't beat ProComp A/T's. They have a soft sidewall that absorbs bumps well and conforms to the terrain at a higher pressure when aired down in snow or mud. They are a little more susceptible to sidewall cuts than BFG's (my current favorite) but if you are not running in the sharp rocks you should be fine. They also happen to be frequently the cheapest option in my area.

WOW for a 33x12.5 in a very generic tire those are not cheap! How many miles have you gotten in your experience? I'm more of a mud tires guy and love Bighorns, not an A/T but they are quiet for a mud tire, cheap, and wear decently IMO. Got a friend that has about 20k on his 33" bighorns and they are about 1/2 or so worn. Oh yeah, and they're only about 160 each for 33x12.5s.

I'm not too impressed with my Pro Comp MTs. They seem to be wearing rather quickly. Don't know if that would translate into the other tires from them or not.

Dayton Timberline A/T's, Cooper STT's, Goodyear Kevlar's and Duratracs, Bridgestone Dueler REVO A/T's

I'm not too impressed with my Pro Comp MTs. They seem to be wearing rather quickly. Don't know if that would translate into the other tires from them or not.

My XJ had ProComp MTs on it when I got it and they were worn unevenly and rode terribly.

I've got BFG ATs on now, and they are wearing pretty evenly. They are terrrrrrible in mud, though. Terrible.

Been there,done that.Pro-craps are re-badged Coopers and they suck also! In my 35 yrs of wheeling I have yet to see anything PC sells thats worth a s**t.

The ones I ran gripped pretty good in the mud, but I would not run them for other applications than purely mud/dirt. I didn't like them.

WOW for a 33x12.5 in a very generic tire those are not cheap! How many miles have you gotten in your experience? I'm more of a mud tires guy and love Bighorns, not an A/T but they are quiet for a mud tire, cheap, and wear decently IMO. Got a friend that has about 20k on his 33" bighorns and they are about 1/2 or so worn. Oh yeah, and they're only about 160 each for 33x12.5s.

Well I hate to break it to you but they are not a "very generic" tire. Kinda weird that it has a 50,000 mile warranty and not many other ATs even offer a tread warranty. Pro Comp ATs are a very good tire I have tons of customers, friends and family that have them and all are very happy. They can be mounted on a vehicle and not balanced with no shimmy in the steering wheel. They will at least last as long as any Toyo, Nitto, or BFG A/T with the same smooth ride and are lighter then the Toyo & Nitto.

I agree that bighorn are cheap, but a every set bighorns I have ever heard have been very loud and wear fast.

A 33/12.50/15 for $185 is a lot?? and right now you get buy 3 get 1 free with a free 50,000 mile warranty.... If thats a lot I am sorry. About $615+ tax mounted and balanced sounds pretty good to me.

Last edited:
Seems to me that Pro Comp is more image than action...

They need to spend some of their marketing cash on R&D...

The only Pro Comp tires I would not put on my vehicle is the Xterrains just because I don't like them. I have been installing Pro Comp tires (as well as many other brands) for well over 2 years now and have only seen a hand full of people that were not happy with them. Pro Comp must be doing something right cause they are still in business while other companies are struggling.

Pro Comp XM/Ts get around 35,000 to 45,000 miles
Pro Comp XA/Ts get around 40,000 to 50,000 miles
Pro Comp A/Ts get around 50,000 to 60,000 miles
And these tires are quiet a bit cheaper then most other major brands.

And really they are more action then image I would run them for how well they work not how they look, there are much better looking tires out there then Pro Comp.

I don't personally have any experience with PC's but I've read a lot of reviews lately with complaints about their durability (not the AT's)... but I can't personally attest to this. I say it seems they are more image because of the large amount of advertising they do... I've come close to buying them but am pretty loyal to BFG due to the great luck I've had with AT's and Muds, not to mention the tried and true reputation they have earned.

I think the pro comp AT's look like pretty good tires and I have heard good things about them, if I were looking for AT's they would be my 2nd choice.

I've always thought Cooper made pretty decent tires, Since they are made by Cooper they can't be too bad really...

Back