• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing alternator

stevieb

NAXJA Forum User
can a person replace the xj alternator with something else, the alternator light stays on and only charging between 13.2 and 13.7V. found out from the dealers (Chrysler/Jeep) and they want $700 for a new one. Spares for the alternators not available in SA.

What YEAR/ENGINE?

If RENIX (87-90) any GM alternator is likely to work.

it is a 97 model and sure is not a renix. it has the single power wire bolted on together with a little black box with i think 5 wires coming out of it. does this help any?

You can upgrade the alternator in your '97; which is either a 90A or 117A..... with a 136A alternator from a '98 Grand Cherokee 5.2L 4x4 (many other vehicles to choose from).
You will need to clearance the rear aluminum bracket and front steel bracket to allow for the installation of the larger alternator case, but it will fit easily....
Suggest you upgrade the charging lead from the alternator to the PDC (fuse block) with a larger gauge wire such as 4 or 6 gauge.
Did this upgrade to my '98 XJ several months ago....

Here is an article that will assist you to swap/upgrade the alternator....

http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2004/jeepalt/

thx for the site. tell me do all those alternators also have all those wires? i have the right hand drive and my alternator sits on top to the left of the tappet cover. non of those cars listed on that site are available here in SA so will have to scrap a little deeper to find something to work.

thx for the site. tell me do all those alternators also have all those wires? i have the right hand drive and my alternator sits on top to the left of the tappet cover. non of those cars listed on that site are available here in SA so will have to scrap a little deeper to find something to work.

You must have salvage yards there, and any salvage yard should have an interchange manual so you could locate something to fit.

The charging lead on my '98 XJ was either a 8 or 10 gauge wire with a fusible link inside.... and my Jeep came with the 117A alternator...
I upgraded all the wires and cables... 2 gauge fine stranded for positive and negative cables, 4 gauge fine stranded for positive going from battery to PDC and PDC to alternator and 6 gauge fine stranded for negative going from battery to the automobile chassis....
To replace the fusible link... I fabricated a new stud on the PDC to the left of the factory stud, connected the 4 gauge cables to either of the two studs and then installed a marine grade 150A mini buss fuse across the studs....

standard.jpg

The charging lead on my '98 XJ was either a 8 or 10 gauge wire with a fusible link inside.... and my Jeep came with the 117A alternator...
I upgraded all the wires and cables... 2 gauge fine stranded for positive and negative cables, 4 gauge fine stranded for positive going from battery to PDC and PDC to alternator and 6 gauge fine stranded for negative going from battery to the automobile chassis....
To replace the fusible link... I fabricated a new stud on the PDC to the left of the factory stud, connected the 4 gauge cables to either of the two studs and then installed a marine grade 150A mini buss fuse across the studs....

standard.jpg
like what you did, have 2 or 3m 4awg that i will do the upgrade with once i have the alternator sorted.

still worried about the lot of wires coming out of the alternator. is it true that the regulator is situated in the PCM? what if this has cooked. no way i have the big bucks to replace a PCM. going to remove alternator tomorrow night and have it tested.

i don't know the first thing about life in south africa, do you have alternator/starter rebuild shops?

I have a few shops that i know i can walk in with almost any alternator and they will be able to rebuild it. perhaps you have something similar?

Is this your daily driver? perhaps you can order an alternator rebuild kit on the internet?

I would love to see some pics of your jeep and life in your area.

From my visit to South Africa, I seriously doubt that they have any salvage yards. Any old car left abandoned in a field is totally stripped of sheet metal, let aone any real parts. My guess would be that they have rebuilding shops. The poverty in Africa is unbelievable to us. Even South Africa, as probably the most affluent country in Africa is very poor. Used cars are extremely expensive and have VERY high tariffs to bring anything in. They are trying to encourage their new car manufacturing facilities.

quite true Winterbeater but not to the extent as in other African countries. Jeeps of any model are seen as high class vehicles as they are very expensive over here. A Rubicon will set you back about R420 000 ($56000 odd) and a second hand one R365 000 ($49 000 odd). this before finance at 20% interest. if i used my whole salary it would take me 72 months to pay a Rubicon off. great huh. a stock standard 2nd hand (used) xj will ste you back $6000. getting the idea??
We do have "scrap yards" but seeing they are very expensive and work just under new part prices and as i said a new alternator will set me back $700 from the dealers. i don't even want to know what a PCM is going to cost me as the regulator sits in there. the other problem is that jeep spares are quite scares as there were not many imported seeing the prices were and are so high.
I will be taking the alternator off and having it tested but there is nobody in this area to check the PCM. if there was just another way to by pass the regulator in the PCM and install an after market external one.
have a look her and you can get a feeling of our area, not really that much different to the US. you guys are just that more lucky when it comes to availability of spares and variety.
http://s706.photobucket.com/albums/ww69/sbarns404/

Ouch! Maybe you could find someone with the time to hunt around over here and pick one up for $cheap, then mail it to you as a gift? Not sure how that'd fly with customs.

I have used a "GM one wire" alternator on my scout. everything is self contained in the alternator and all i had to do was the single wire to the positive battery terminal. done. i was fortunate enough to have it bolt right on to the generator mount as well.

It may not be bolt up without work, and it may freak out the computer but maybe it will be cheaper. i'm not familiar enough with your model XJ to give advice....

I can not speak for or against this seller, but here is what it looks like.

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/db-starter-alternator/items/item.aspx?itemid=153478

You definitely can work around the PCM/regulator issue. The GM one wire is the easiest way. If needed, I know that there are small "back alley" machine shops that do custom work. That must be one of the most universal "hot rod" adaptations in the world.

Back