• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering pump issues

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
I have been having trouble with my power steering ..it seems that when I run it in 2wd i have no problems but when im on the trail in 4wd for an extended period of time it starts to whine really bad and steering gets tough..
i think my pump is/was ok ie no leaks ..could it be the brand of steering fluid ?? are there better qualtiy fluids that when they heat up dont break down in viscosity??
or should I replace the pump with a psc or AGR the front is aussie locked

also the gear box is original im not sure if that could cause the issue
and I think this prolly should have gone in somethin other than modified tech
sorry

Last edited:
one thing that people don't consider maintenance is their power steering........and specially if you wheel and have bigger tires. try flushing the system, upgrading to a little better fluid, and maybe add a Power steering cooler (depending on how big of tires you're running).

i run redline power steering fluid in my jeeps and they handle heavy wheeling pretty decent.

scorpio_vette said:
one thing that people don't consider maintenance is their power steering........and specially if you wheel and have bigger tires. try flushing the system, upgrading to a little better fluid, and maybe add a Power steering cooler (depending on how big of tires you're running).

i run redline power steering fluid in my jeeps and they handle heavy wheeling pretty decent.

can i get redline at any auto store??

i was wondering about the power steering cooler ..thing is im only runnin 33's at say 12 psi

and XJ's come from the factory with what??? 28's??? that's a pretty good difference.

if you have a performance/speed shop in your town, you could probably get some there......they may also carry other brands. otherwise you can order it practically anywhere online.

Back