• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bent LCA mount

DownSouth4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I let my mom drive my car around the farm and within 15 min. she runs of a dirt path. Nothing major but she did some damage to the jeep. I was wondering how bad, if at all, it is to ride around on a bent LCA mout. This and my steering being off a little are the only things that are of concern.
P9260600.jpg

P9260604.jpg

this is what it looks like. will this do anything in the near future or can I drive like this?
Thanks

Ouch. did the LCA-to-frame mount get twisted as well, or is the twist taken up by the LCA? Is the LCA buckled or twisted? Does the jeep have death wobble or vibes?

Some pics of the LCA and the frame mound would be helpful, especially if they were a little smaller.

Edit: did you carefully examine the other control arms and mounts, especially the UCAs and their mounts? The UCAs are not very strong at all, and need to be checked if you haven't already.

Ok I'll get some more pics up tomorrow. The LCA didn't get twisted I believe but I'll double check. And as far as DW goes, nothing. All the other arms and mounts are ok. As far as I can tell it is only the passenger side that has damage.
Thanks

Take the LCA off at the axle end, use heat and a hammer or whatever to straighten the mount. Then bolt it back together. It will be fine. Those of us that wheel these things have done this more than once.

If that's the only damage and the LCA is not creased, folded, or cracked, I personally wouldn't hesitate to drive it for a while, on-road at least.
The mount looks like it's twisted about 6 degrees from the pic, and the LCA has probably simply flexed-the open design of the factory LCAs allows for some twisting before any actual damage is done. The mount needs replacing, but you can probably get away with normal driving for a while.
That being said, it's difficult to know what subtle damage might have resulted, so get it checked out by a mechanic too.
IANAL, ect.

Anyone else wanna chime in on this?

Back