• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie front, open rear?

CallMeColt

NAXJA Forum User
Fellow XJ owners,
I was wondering if it would be an issue to have an Aussie locker in my Dana 30 front axle, and have the rear end open on my Chrysler 8.25?

.....why would I want to do this strange setup you ask?

WELL, I did order an Aussie locker for my rear, but turns out that I had the 27 spline, not the 29 spline back there even though I have a 1999. From a little over 2 hours of research, it seems as if it is NOT possible to convert it to a 29 with the appropriate parts to do so. Untill then, open rear it is. Have to figure out what the next step will be. :(

No problem running the front locker only.

Bummer dude! That's the first I've heard of a really late model with a 27 sp. axle. Any chance the axle was swapped? You can convert from 27 to 29 spline, but you need a carrier. Unless you have money in gears out back, it's probably easier/cheaper to find a 29sp axle and swap the entire assy.

My trail rig currently has a Aussie in the front D30 and an open C8.25 27 spline in the rear. It does great.

Swap the carrier and shafts out from a junkyard 29spline and your good to go.

My trail rig currently has a Aussie in the front D30 and an open C8.25 27 spline in the rear. It does great.

Swap the carrier and shafts out from a junkyard 29spline and your good to go.

I have a aussie in the front, and "Had" a lockright in the back, The lockright took a crap and now im just locked in the front. And somtime i dont miss the rear locker. When i get some coin ill lock up the back again. But i think its a great setup they way it is right now.

get the carrier and 29 spline shafts from the junk yard, they swap out with the 27 splines. I know for a fact because thats what I did. All though I did regear at the same time. I had the Aussie in the front and open in the rear and it worked great for me.

get the carrier and 29 spline shafts from the junk yard, they swap out with the 27 splines. I know for a fact because thats what I did. All though I did regear at the same time. I had the Aussie in the front and open in the rear and it worked great for me.

So you have done the swap? I am not the one working on my Jeep, but my buddy is. So let me get this straight.....

You went the the junkyard and found a 29 spline Chrysler 8.25
You took the axles, and the carrier (meaning the part that the Aussie Locker goes in so we are definetly on the same page) out of it
Then, you installed them on the older 8.25 axles without issue.

I currently have a 4.10 gear in the rear, so it was already re-geared by previous owner.

If you did this and it did work I am going to jump for joy because this is the best solution for my problem!!!!!

:eeks1:

I had a 27spline and converted it to 29spline. You need the carrier and axles. You will also need to get thrust washers for the 29spline axles. And I believe you are going to need the 29 spline wheel bearings. Im pretty sure the c-clips are the same size.

I run a 27spline rear that has been converted to 29spline with yukon alloy axles, 4:56 gears and an aussie. Yes it can be done..

Is your Jeep a bronze color? Did you buy it from a guy from TN? If so, he swapped his old drivetrain into that one and converted it to 4 wheel drive. He found a set of factory geared 4.10 axles from a 4 cylinder. I have the original 8.25 29 spline in my XJ.

Is your Jeep a bronze color? Did you buy it from a guy from TN? If so, he swapped his old drivetrain into that one and converted it to 4 wheel drive. He found a set of factory geared 4.10 axles from a 4 cylinder. I have the original 8.25 29 spline in my XJ.

Yea, I did buy it off of him. Great deal I got in my eyes. I don't know why he would have wanted to get ride of it.

I run Aussie front and limited slip rear.

Back