• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can't remove ax-15 inspection cover

snail

NAXJA Forum User
as the title says, i can't get the inspection cover off. one of the larger bolts contacts the exhaust and won't come out.
002.jpg

003.jpg

is there a trick to this? also i've taken this cover off of the AW4, and i know this AX-15 one is a single large plate which requires the starter off. do i need to remove the two top-most bolts on both sides too? (the one above the starter and same location on other side)

It's a little redneck, but in the past I've seen folks take a dremel and grind away part of the sheild and turn it into a slot rather than a hole. Like I say, kinda ghetto, but it works :D

1) You can remove the two nuts on the exhaust manifold (should take a 9/16" wrench - if SAE - or a 13m/m wrench - if ISO. If you need a 13m/m, please let me know what year, as I'm trying to nail down transitions in fasteners.) This should allow you to swing the downpipe out of the way. May as well replace the donut gasket while you're there - it's a few bucks, and simple.

2) You can slot the plate, and clear the bolt that way.

3) You can decaptitate the bolt, get a replacement, and run it through in the other direction (which obviates the entire mess.)

NB: As I recall, that plate goes all the way up - it's more "spacer plate" than "inspection cover." I seem to recall that putting two studs in the upper bellhousing screw holes (when I had the transmission out to replace it for the second or third time on my 88 - went through a whole series of those damned Peugeots before I got an AX-15...) seemed to help a lot with holding the plate in place.

Of course, that was on an earlier model, and I don't know if that changed later. But, that could be why the bolt was run through in the direction it was - because you'd have to pull the transmission, thus having to pull the exhaust - to remove the plate anyhow. And remove the flywheel as well.

I vote cut the head off and get a nut to put on the "stud". That plate goes all the way up but it has a slot for the drive shaft so I believe you can drop it out if you get it all the way disconnected.

Back