• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Discountjeepparts 9" axle: worth it?

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
[FONT=&quot]http://www.discountjeepparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/2880_6342_6345_6346/products_id/32748

So I found that axle the other day. Yeah it needs carrier/gear in addition to the price listed, but that just means I have no reason not to throw an OX or electric locker in there from the start :D

Is that worth it for the axle, shafts, and mounting equipment? And where it fits the wrangler, does that mean it's may already be shortened? I can't remember the stock axle dimensions off the top of my head (I think it was around 58" maybe?), but overall I would prefer to stay close to stock width. If that is full width then I will find a JY axle and shave it. If that is already shortened for me it may be a nice clean new start for a rear axle. Mind you I don't know the dimensions on that axle, need to get in touch with discount jeep. On the same page as that axle (http://www.discountjeepparts.com/index.php/cPath/2880_6342_6345_6346) they have several others, all in the 58"-60" range so it seems it may be pre-shortened.

Opinions? This isn't something I will be doing in the immediate future so I have some time to plan the build before I start buying parts. Right now I am working on welding in new floor pans and getting stock XJ axles (4.10 ratio) which will be good enough for the time being.. make driving the XJ a bit more fun. Will be a nice change from 33's and 3.07s :D I just miss driving the Jeep so I am getting it going strong ASAP, and will have it running by the time winter rolls around at the latest.

Then next summer the build will probably begin. Maybe pick up the axle this winter and get it geared and such. My current setup is 3.5" lift, 33's, AX-15. Over the winter I will be working some heavier steel sheet into custom fender tubs and making the front/rear end tubbed out to clear 36's on 4.5-5" of lift.. Just move the pinch welds up a bit and make my own, which hopefully wont ruin the structural integrity while I am at it, but then again if I do destroy the structure, thats just a good excuse to put a cage in it sooner than expected, right?
Next year once I have some $$ saved it is getting 1"-1.5" additional lift, 36x12.50's or somewhere around there, and a selectable locker w/ at least 4.88s in a 9" or comparable out back and probably D44 up front but that is less of a concern for now. So any opinions on the axle/plans?
[/FONT]

Back