• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Antenna

stoneattic

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like to replace my stationary antenna with a power one. I know some folks have done just the opposite and I'm sure people will ask why. I usually listen to Sirius so I barely need an antenna at all, but occasionally I listen to local news and Flyers games. I'd wire the antenna separately from the radio so that I could raise it only when needed. That would keep it from being beaten around on the trail (which killed my stationary one) and probably help highway MPG some really tiny bit as well, and every little bit helps.

I've been searching and it appears that failures of the factory ones are pretty common so maybe a junk yard one is a bad idea. Has anyone installed one of the Autozone replacements:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...ntenna&store=2843&searchText=&brandName=Metra

Any good? Does it include everything I need to swap from stationary to power? Any other suggestions?

Yes, I'm going to wire to a separate switch so I can control it manually. That way I can have the satellite radio on with the antenna down.

The power antenna on teamcherokee is $125+shipping, although I thought I saw a less expensive on on there at one point. Maybe they no longer carry that one. The Autozone is $66. I was hoping to save some coin.

I don't know if I was having a bad day or because it was my first (and last) time. I'd rather replace control arm bushings than do another power antenna.

I don't know if I was having a bad day or because it was my first (and last) time. I'd rather replace control arm bushings than do another power antenna.

Yeah, they are a pain in arse, aren't they.
FYI, the mast is non-replaceable-they use a metal hook that attaches to the drum-not a plastic gear to a track on the mast.

Nick

Honestly, I'd actually just unscrew the element whenever you go offroad. All it takes is about five seconds with a Leatherman to get it loosened, then another ten seconds to unscrew it and throw it in the trunk.

I'm ripping my power antenna out this weekend. You can have it for 20 bucks lol. I hate sound it makes when it comes up.... plus it's just one more electric thing to go wrong. Replacing it with a cheap ebay rubber one lol o'well it's only a antenna.

Honestly, I'd actually just unscrew the element whenever you go offroad. All it takes is about five seconds with a Leatherman to get it loosened, then another ten seconds to unscrew it and throw it in the trunk.

One word... lazy :)

Actually I want to be able to have it down when I'm not listening to AM/FM and to be able to raise it when I want to listen to AM/FM.

I'm ripping my power antenna out this weekend. You can have it for 20 bucks lol. I hate sound it makes when it comes up.... plus it's just one more electric thing to go wrong. Replacing it with a cheap ebay rubber one lol o'well it's only a antenna.

I'd prefer a new one, hence the Autozone question, but if you were closer I'd probably snag it from you.

I too have a power antenna for sale, it's on my rig I rolled. Never failed me, always went up and down no problem. Nice thing is with my aftermarket stereo the antenna doesn't come up unless I turn on the radio (which I never do).

I'm planning on eliminating the power antenna from my new rig though because the damn thing just keeps running and not actually coming up.

~Scott

Back