• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New DIY Bedliner better than Herculiner!

Simon 88YJ94XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know it sounds like spam but I'm about to gush about this stuff, so bare with me, this is NOT SPAM, I have no vested interest, I don't sell it. I know i've not posted much but I thought I'd share something many of you no doubt will find VERY interesting. Especially cheap asses (like me) who want high dollar spray in bedliner without paying $500 hard earned bucks on it. Anyway, just like Herculiner, don't get this stuff on your hootus!

Everyone in the Jeep world knows about Herculiner. This stuff is just as cheap if not cheaper (you get more of it and better coverage for almost the same $89 bucks as Herc), and looks just like high dollar Line-X or Rhino Liner.

I found "raptor liner" on a website a while back and did some searching on it, I couldn't find squat except someone on a ATV (Yamaha Rhino) Forum who had tried it (Google it you'll probably find the same post)... My Company work trucks all have Herculiner and "work truck paint jobs" (done by me using real HVLP equipment but without a booth.

Actually I do a decent job even if it is just for work trucks and I've been looking for a more professional alternative to Herculiner for a while now so my Company sprang for some of this stuff at my request, and it turned out SWEET!

It looks professional, and Herculiner hasn't stood up to the abuse of real everyday work. I have both products in two pickups relatively recently applied so we'll see how they stack up long term. But Herc is already shredding. The Raptor liner is about a week old. Too soon to tell, but it's 2 part Urethane so theoretically it should harden much better than Herculiner

This stuff couldn't be more DIY friendly, it's 2 part, but comes in litre bottles, which you add the hardener to (up to a line in the bottle... it's foolproof).. and then attach a disposable spray gun which is included. It's made by U-pol which is a legit professional Autopaint manufacturer. I will try to post pics.

Again I know it sounds like a advert, but it's not I own a 94 XJ with a stroked 4.6, 33 inch tires LSD's front a rear, Which I bought from a NAXJA Member which I'll be posting project pics of soon so don't write me off :)

oz_hole said:
Seems like the more you protest it not being a advert, the more it sounds like an advert... IMHO

agreed, you coulda just said "i used this stuff and it works" there was more protesting than info. i wouldnt buy it

-Tim

Oizarod115 said:
agreed, you coulda just said "i used this stuff and it works" there was more protesting than info. i wouldnt buy it

-Tim

Good grief dude I didn't even post a link!, no price, nada, some people just have completely paranoid BS detectors... The company that makes the stuff is a gigantic auto paint corporation based in England. I'm sure they're paying someone to come here (months ago) pretend to post 9 times and then advertize their product without so much as a link.

Why not try the SEM or Morton’s Bedliner readily available at local automotive paint supply stores. I have experience with both and they are excellent/way better than Herculiner. They are applied the same way as this raptor stuff and look really good. My XJ is sprayed with the Morton’s as well as my sisters Yota and it's great. You did not discover the only DIY alterative to Herculiner so calm down.

tgoff said:
Why not try the SEM or Morton’s Bedliner readily available at local automotive paint supply stores. I have experience with both and they are excellent/way better than Herculiner. They are applied the same way as this raptor stuff and look really good. My XJ is sprayed with the Morton’s as well as my sisters Yota and it's great. You did not discover the only DIY alterative to Herculiner so calm down.

:smsoap:You know how many searches i've done, here, and on JU, and pirate, and a dozen other places trying to find a good alternative to herculiner? I've never heard of SEM or Morton's, are they competative in price to herc? Cause you can get 4 liters of Raptor for the exact same $89 as a gallon of Herculiner, athough most auto paint places I've found that can order it want about $130.

Anyway this is the first two part uethane I've heard of that doesn't approch the cost of getting Line-x to do it for you. There are plenty of "alternatives" that are as good (Durabak) or suck (Duplicolor), so PARDON ME if I get excited about one that doesn't, and is effectively LESS expensive.

Simon 88YJ94XJ said:
or suck (Duplicolor)

Ain't that the truth...it looked GREAT when I finished it for the first day or so and then I put my toolbox back in the truck and it scraped it all to hell.

Thanks for the info, I just gutted and chopped my whole interior so I'm looking for some kind of nice finish to go over everything, I'll definitely look at this stuff.

FitchVA said:
they used that brand of stuff to coat the underside and inside of a project car on horsepower tv a few weeks back. looked like pretty slick stuff. but the only prices i could find for the stuff was a little steep.

That was Lizard skin which is a Ceramic paint, easy mistake. It's targeted at hot rodders as a noise and heat reducer for under body and interior under carpet. I don't know how well it performs for it's intended use nor as a bed liner. Ceramic is some wonderful stuff in terms of durability, and resistance to heat but I don't know how well it would stack up as an impact absorber that has to stay adhered to metal and yeah it's pricey. It's aimed at 50-something Hot Roders, not 30-something cheap Jeep'ers

Thanks for anothrer option to consider. I'm looking to do my rails and maybe some other stuff if I get the itch, and I wasn't thrilled about using herc again. I'm going to look at this a little closer.

There are always the non-belivers and nay-sayers. Ignore them. They're just cranky because they don't have any useful information to share. Thanks again, and don't be duscuraged by those with sand in their vagina's.

jmsull said:
Thanks for anothrer option to consider. I'm looking to do my rails and maybe some other stuff if I get the itch, and I wasn't thrilled about using herc again. I'm going to look at this a little closer.

There are always the non-belivers and nay-sayers. Ignore them. They're just cranky because they don't have any useful information to share. Thanks again, and don't be duscuraged by those with sand in their vagina's.

So what you're saying is their vagina's hurt? Okay then in that case I understand :)

FWIW this stuff just lived through a pallet of PA field stone boulder "steppers" being skidded into the bed of the Cheby 2500HD it's in that's roughly 15 or so 2 to 3 foot by 2 to 3 foot across 5 to 7 inch thick stones that Landscapers use for making paths and natual looking steps.

Back