• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Axle Removal HELP!!

Cherokee_Laredo89

NAXJA Forum User
I'm swapping out my crummy rear drums for ZJ discs. I got the rear diff cover off and upon looking at where the bolt that holds the center shaft in place is, I noticed theres no bolt! It looks to be a pin type sleeve thing that is split. What is the easiest way to get this damn thing out?

hmm... my method would be a brass punch (don't want to use anything that'll scratch up the diff parts) and a BFH.

If it has the rolled pin, the hole likely goes all the way through the ring gear, look on the left side. I was lucky and had the right size pin punch in my tool box, that was long enough, to hammer it out.
It is doubtful you will be able to reuse the rolled pin again.

What axle,what year?It sounds like a non c-clip D35 which would mean you dont need to remove the cross-shaft!

What axle,what year?It sounds like a non c-clip D35 which would mean you dont need to remove the cross-shaft!

After looking for a little bit, I soon realized that it is indeed the D35 non c-clip. Now I have a new dillema. The backing plates from the ZJ bdisc brakes dont match up to the holes on my D35. Oh well, no discs this time.

After looking for a little bit, I soon realized that it is indeed the D35 non c-clip. Now I have a new dillema. The backing plates from the ZJ bdisc brakes dont match up to the holes on my D35. Oh well, no discs this time.

They wouldn't even if you had a non c-clip D35, because you have a D35 out of an XJ, not a ZJ.

They wouldn't even if you had a non c-clip D35, because you have a D35 out of an XJ, not a ZJ.

The bolt pattern changed between the D35 non-clip and the D35 c-clip. You can either redrill the backing plate or weld up and redrill the end of the tube.

The ZJ D35 c-clip and XJ D35 c-clip bolt pattern is the same, btw. You could grab a set of Crown Vic disc brakes. They bolt right on. You just have to clearance out the center of the rotors a bit, and make a spacer to go between the retainer plate and the bearing seal. Then again if you got flumoxed trying to mess with the diff when you didn't need to, maybe this is over your head. :p

Back