• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catalytic Converter

AdidasCJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need one. Ive looked online for them and found them for like 40bucks... but then come to find out they dont ship to Calui because they are not legal for use in Cali... BAH!

So were can i get a Catalytic Converter for cheep that will allow to pass somg in cali...

I have an 88 Cherokee i6..... its pre all the OBD crap!

Cheap is relative.

But I got one with install for $150 2 years ago at Chatsworth Muffler. His welds sucked though.

Its illegal to sell used cats in the state of Ca, the yard won't sell you one.

go to NAPA. i work there, yes ;) but ive gotten them there every time. they show a universal fit one for the XJ (weld in) that says its not CARB approved, but they stock one in the fontana warehouse, which means it is legal for sale in CA. as long as your smog guy is not super anal and runs every number on the vehicle it will pass just fine.

have your exhaust guy weld the cat on with the numbers facing up, and when the smog guy asks where the CARB number is tell him its on top cause the exhaust guy screwed up :D

its listed in the computer for 114$.

go to NAPA. i work there, yes ;) but ive gotten them there every time. they show a universal fit one for the XJ (weld in) that says its not CARB approved, but they stock one in the fontana warehouse, which means it is legal for sale in CA. as long as your smog guy is not super anal and runs every number on the vehicle it will pass just fine.

have your exhaust guy weld the cat on with the numbers facing up, and when the smog guy asks where the CARB number is tell him its on top cause the exhaust guy screwed up :D

As fo 1-1-09 Catalytic converter verification is part of the smog inspection. No more universal cats are allowed. If the tech cannot see part# to verify then cat is not legal. Magnaflow part#39005 I have it in stock $295 installed, but I am in Bakersfield.:D The correct napa #(calcat) is 80106.

I was told by the NAPA guy in clairemont that they cannot sell any item that is not legal for use in the state of CA (being that their store is in CA). I got my cat from them for under $150 out the door.

EDIT: I should add, I got a cheap one off the net for $65 plus shipping and failed smog with outrageously high NOx. Napa cat brought everything within spec.

it sucks.... what i should do is buy one of the ones off line, send it to my mon in Illionis and then have her send it to me! :D

My Dakota i brought with me to cali from Chicagoland passed cali smog.... and its missing one cat......

it sucks.... what i should do is buy one of the ones off line, send it to my mon in Illionis and then have her send it to me! :D

My Dakota i brought with me to cali from Chicagoland passed cali smog.... and its missing one cat......

This is what i do.. Works every time..Good luck..I have my spare cat in the shop just in case i FAIL..I never fail

I once cut the heat shields off of the stock cat and welded them to a new magnaflow. Passed vis no problem :D

I was told by the NAPA guy in clairemont that they cannot sell any item that is not legal for use in the state of CA (being that their store is in CA). I got my cat from them for under $150 out the door.

EDIT: I should add, I got a cheap one off the net for $65 plus shipping and failed smog with outrageously high NOx. Napa cat brought everything within spec.

Just talked to my local Napa, they said the 80106 sells for $173.00 out the door, my price(jobber) is $124.00. Your local guy may have some room to deal.

As fo 1-1-09 Catalytic converter verification is part of the smog inspection. No more universal cats are allowed. If the tech cannot see part# to verify then cat is not legal. Magnaflow part#39005 I have it in stock $295 installed, but I am in Bakersfield.:D The correct napa #(calcat) is 80106.
IF you cat never had to be replaced or has "been on the vehicle" for a long time, there is nothing they can do.

There is a muffler shop on main east of maple on the south side. There are 4 auto shops in there and he is all the way in the back. I just bought a muffler there and is a good guy.

He has the cal legal cats and can install it too.

Leep

I need one. Ive looked online for them and found them for like 40bucks... but then come to find out they dont ship to Calui because they are not legal for use in Cali... BAH!

So were can i get a Catalytic Converter for cheep that will allow to pass somg in cali...

I have an 88 Cherokee i6..... its pre all the OBD crap!

IF you cat never had to be replaced or has "been on the vehicle" for a long time, there is nothing they can do.

The rule states, catalytic converters that were installed after 1-1-09 must be verified. I asked a rep from the B.A.R. how I can tell, he said ask the customer. Unless it is obvious that it was just installed, we usually give the benefit of the doubt. But........that only applies to pre OBD2 vehicles. If the vehicle is OBD2 the law has always been that the cat had to be OBD2 approved, but the inspection only said that the smog tech had to verify the presence of a cat. Since 1-1-09 it is required that the application be verified as well. I fail OBD2 cars every day that have non OBD2 cats. The same thing goes for "cold air" intakes and exhaust headers. The law used to be that as long as all factory equipment was provided for, it was legal. Now, any aftermarket part must have the C.A.R.B. E.O.# attached, or the sticker under the hood. The technician must verify the C.A.R.B. E.O.# by looking it up in the database on the C.A.R.B. website. If the # does not match, the car fails.

I sent you a PM, hope the info helps :).

Does any one else find this crazy? If a car passes the emissions, who cares whats on it? I dont get the rationale.

KH

The way I understand it, the crackdown is due in large part to the rapid proliferation of the "fast and furious" tuners. Every kid with a honda and 3 feet of P.V.C. pipe thinks he can make the thing faster or louder and the result is increased emissions. Keep in mind that not all emissions are measurable on a smog machine with a partial stream sample. We test the vehicle tailpipe emissions at 15 mph at 50% load and at 25mph at 20% load. This only gives a snapshot of what the vehicle is doing after it is warmed up under steady state operations. It is certain that emissions are much higher before the vehicle is warmed up or under W.O.T. operation when getting on the freeway. Some kid with an air filter hanging right over the exhaust manifold is certainly ingesting hotter air into the engine than the stock air cleaner had. That hot air could easily raise NOx emissions, but how can that be measured in a shop with the hood up? Now the kid has taken a honda that was probably close to zero emissions and made it barely pass. Not to mention HC emissions that occur when the vehicle is not even being operated. The rules need to be the same for everyone and tailpipe emissions are only a portion of the equation. I agree that it is a pain but a simple sniffer test cannot check the other systems that come into play when the vehicle is being operated

Back