• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ rear seats as MJ bench?

Stallacrew

NAXJA Forum User
I have a question, which I cannot answer because of two things: I dont have a bench seat in my Comanche, and I don't have an XJ near.

Question: How wide are rear XJ "bench" seats and how wide is an MJ bench?

I have exceptionally nice buckets in my MJ but I want a bench really. I know it's not going to be adjustable like buckets are, but I want to do it. I'm a big guy to begin with and ride with my seat almost all the way back anyhow.

Anyone know of any other good bench substitutes for an MJ? S10 might fit.... i'll have to check it out.

Not afraid of custom bench mounts so don't bring that into play.

Thanks

--Alex

I'd probably post up on your local board's classified section and see if anyone wants to trade, since bucket seats are something people apparently like in an MJ you might find someone who just wants to do a straight swap.

Yea, I'd go over to comancheclub.com and ask if anyone wants to trade buckets for bench. I'm sure you'll have an overwhelming response!

stella, the XJ rear would not work well. I have however seen both the S10 bench and a leather bench from a dodge dakota installed. Both looked great. The dodge was a bench seat that was formed a bit to feel more like buckets, and I think it had a center fold down cupholder/armrest thing.

width would be fine. but the mount (i know, you said don't bring it into play) would have to be completely custom, because the rear xj seat hinges. It is a 2 piece seat that mounts into 2 completely different areas. The amount of work you would have to do to get it to work as a truck bench seat would be rediculous. you would basically be building a pew and using them as cussions. :roll:

use your skills to get a nice bench seat from a similar sized truck in there. that dodge seat sounds hot. and FYI XJ back seats are not exactly what I would call comfortable!

stella, the XJ rear would not work well. I have however seen both the S10 bench and a leather bench from a dodge dakota installed. Both looked great. The dodge was a bench seat that was formed a bit to feel more like buckets, and I think it had a center fold down cupholder/armrest thing.

I still don't know why people call me Stella...its Stalla. It doesnt bother me, it just baffles me..... continue. Thanks for the Dakota/S10 info.

width would be fine. but the mount (i know, you said don't bring it into play) would have to be completely custom, because the rear xj seat hinges. It is a 2 piece seat that mounts into 2 completely different areas. The amount of work you would have to do to get it to work as a truck bench seat would be rediculous. you would basically be building a pew and using them as cussions. :roll:

use your skills to get a nice bench seat from a similar sized truck in there. that dodge seat sounds hot. and FYI XJ back seats are not exactly what I would call comfortable!

I know it's got to be custom, and thats why I said that. You stated it, and thats fine.... I didnt want Debbie Downers coming in here and bitching about how much work it would be and trying to tell me how I should keep the buckets.

I don't know how long I'd be comfortable sitting on one of them either. There's nowhere near as much cushion on them as on a decent front seat.

Both of you make a good point of it no being a good comfy seat, but it is what I have to work with and might be cool to have under seat storage with the fold up part...... just a though

Thank you for all the input guys. When I get a chance to get to the JY I will let you know if I get something.

This is what I have to work with though.....nice seats, I just want a bench. These were JUST reupholstered at the beginning of 2009, the transmission blew up in March or April and I bought it in June.......something like that. They've only been sat in a few months, and they look great, I just wish the "grey" was more "charcoal" and less "white".

Disregard the shitty console......if I keep buckets, I will put an XJ console.

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1620.jpg

The seats in my '98 Limited are very comfortable. If I had an MJ I would swap those in. I don't think the bench in the rear of an XJ would work because it folds down like what was mentioned.

Stalla, my bad, I never noticed the T until now.

Those Seats are fawkin hot. That upholster did an awesome Job, did you have them done local or send out? Want to flat trade for the bench out of my MJ? I am looking for that bench install I was talking about, I think it is on Comancheclub.com, but no luck as of yet.

edit: tallyho found it. about halfway down the page is a brief picture story of his install of the late model bench
http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14919&p=150378&hilit=dakota+bench#p150378

Last edited:
haha, I didn't use the wrong name though... I notice things like that. I think it stems from the fact that people misread my username as "kristin" all the time when I'm a dude.

Good luck!

Those Seats are fawkin hot. That upholster did an awesome Job, did you have them done local or send out? Want to flat trade for the bench out of my MJ?

Yeah the upholstry is pretty sharp I think. The fella paid something like $700 for the seats and then it went kaput on him, its a shame, but hey hey hey...awesome seats for me. I am 99% positive it was a local re-covering.

Well I tell you I WOULD flat trade seats for seats, but I really want a nice bench, something with nice cloth (canvas is really what I want, in black, with dark charcoal middles and piping). If your bench looks something like this:

SANY1815.jpg

Then I would definitely trade. (borrowed that picture from here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1008155&highlight=intro+money+pit )

I want these seats to be used by someone who will enjoy them in a really nice rig.......and that COULD be me, but its just that damn LIGHT grey that is lacking.

If you have a bench like above or close, and want to figure out how to exchange middle Alabama and N Florida, then I will go along with it.

nah. I have the stadard MJ bench with the cutout for the console. The main reason I am looking to go a different route with mine is that my bench does not have headrests. It is a grey vynal bench in pretty good shape, but it does have a rip in the back fabric. I like the bench in the truck, but I am shooting towards more of a street truck feel. So I have been up in the air about buckets for a while now, especially some sportier ones like those. Even had my eye out for a good dakota bench at the junkyard. I would not trade those seats flat out for my bench if I were you, it was more of a joke; unless of course you really are interested.

my interior
Interior1.jpg

and the rest of the truck:
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x10/wolfpackjeeper/Comanche/

granted the bench is much cleaner now, most of those pictures (except the ones in the shop) are from when I first got the truck from a little old lady, it was her gardening truck.

I like the light grey interior, which is why those seats jumped out at me. Good luck in your search.

Back