• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tcase shift linkage PLEASE help!

LilRhodyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Today I went wheelin' with a couple buddys...we had a good time and all and then as I was pushing it from 4Lo to 2Hi the tcase shift lever just slid to 2Hi... My part time light was still on and I was still in 4Lo...the shifter went from sliding to the 2Hi position fluidly (with no resistance like it should have) to now not moving at all...my buddy who knows a lot more then me went under and fiddled around untill he was able to manually put me back into 2Hi...He said the gromtet was destroyed but there was no other damage...he also said it was already going and this little trip was its last stand... so I have a few questions (np231 BTW)

1.Tomorrow happens to be a pretty big RI/CT/MA meet and greet plus some easy wheelin'....my 4wd won't shift in via the lever so how do I go about putting it manually into 4hi? Brandon seemed to do it with no tools so is it easy?

2. To order a new "gromet" what do I say to the dealer or whoever I get it from?

I don't know T-cases very well so if you could be as discriptive as possible I'd greatly appreciate it

Thank you in advance
-Andrew

Really the linkage is fairly simple. I am the kind of person that enjoys investigating how things work. Just get underneath your Jeep and figure out where the handle that you pull does. Maybe have a friend move the handle while you figure out what is going on underneath.
The handle is connected to a rod that has some bushings they are kind ruuber/plastic. I have a hard time imagining that they wore out but I guess it is possible. The rod has couple of bushings on it and I would say the best and easiest place to find one is the dealer but Napa may have something that will work.
It is pretty basic stuff, I am sure that you can figure it out.

LilRhodyXJ said:
.my buddy who knows a lot more then me went under and fiddled around untill he was able to manually put me back into 2Hi

alls you needa do to put it back in 4 lo is find the arm on the front of the t case and move it 3 clicks. without looking i forget if you move it frontwards or backwards but it will only go 1 direction if you are in 2hi now. sometimes you cant get into 4 lo without rolling, so you might needa leave it in N and kick the tires while you are trying to shift it.

that will get you 4lo for your trip, opposite to get it back to 2hi.

-Tim

thanks a lot guys....ur right about simpleness, I just was kind of stressing last night before the trip and didnt even take a look

I feel like such a n00b...o wait, I am:D

Back