• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing the hatch- wiring question

MahnkenVille

NAXJA Forum User
My hatch is rusted out and I'm heading to the junkyard soon to pick up a "new" one. The wires must run up one or both of the sleeves that go from the hatch into the body, that's the only path. Where is the plug for the wiring for the hatch? is it in the sleeve, the headliner, or in the hatch itself? This is a 97XJ.

Thanks!

I believe the plug is somewhere above the headliner. The one I goe from the previous gen (96 hatch) has connectors that are a little away from where teh sleeve is, I would also cut the washer hose somewher ein that area also, and just get a plastic connector to connect the new wiper washer hose if you need/want it.

You definitely want the washer hose even if the barb is broken off the body trim. It's great for squirting tailgaters that way. :D

The hatch wiring harness runs from inside the hatch down the drivers side D-pillar to the kick panel behind the spare tire. The wires are terminated there and also at the individual components inside the hatch. Basically pull out the D-pillar trim and the overhead piece at the cargo opening and anything that's in the way, then fish the wires out of the D-pillar.

FWIW I decided to enlarge the cutout for the wiring harness in the hatch and the body, and used a door booty to seal it back up. This made it a lot easier to route the wires and to add my own additional wires

Hatch_Wiring_Boot_1.jpg

I don't remember what the boot is from. Probably a Chevy of some kind. I grabbed a bunch from the local truck yard one day

Back