• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" lift on 2000 XJ

blaker_99

NAXJA Forum User
I had a quick question in regards to driveshaft angles on my 2000 XJ. I called all of the lift manufacturers Rustys, Skyjacer, Rough Country, Rubicon Express and all of them told me i would not need any SYE or CV Driveshaft for a 3" lift. I need to know how much to budget for as adding a SYE and CD driveshaft maes things a whole lot more expensive. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated. thanks again. Happy Trails

I had a quick question in regards to driveshaft angles on my 2000 XJ. I called all of the lift manufacturers Rustys, Skyjacer, Rough Country, Rubicon Express and all of them told me i would not need any SYE or CV Driveshaft for a 3" lift. I need to know how much to budget for as adding a SYE and CD driveshaft maes things a whole lot more expensive. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated. thanks again. Happy Trails

I originally put a 3" on my '99 and didn't notice any major issues. The rear of yours should be the same as mine. As for the front, you should have the LP 30 and that is where you might run into some vibration issues. The front driveline is already CV style with the double cardan up top. So I don't know of any SYE kit for the front (I may be wrong). You can just drop your t-case at the crossmember a couple of inches. I did put a SYE kit in minw about 3 months ago and it is noticeably smoother, but is it necessary? Shouldn't be. You just need to be concerned about the front. My suggestion is swap in a HP 30, no vibration issue and it is stronger anyway.

The front isnt a problem,but I would definately budget for a SYE kit.The 97+ are much more prone to vibes than the early style!

Lift it and see what happens. If you run into vibes, drop the transfer case an inch for a while until you can save up to get an SYE down the road. If you're even considering going higher in the future I would go ahead and do the SYE now.

It really is a wait-and-see game when lifting XJ's...no two react the same, especially on the last generation ones. I've seen some 6"+ with no vibes, and then there are some like mine that had vibes at 3", and my buddy's 98 that had vibes at 2".

RCP Phx is mostly correct - extend that to 96 as well as 97+ from what I have experienced and read about others experiencing. The new transfer case slip yoke style was introduced on the 96 model year, I need one (installing it as soon as I get around to it.)

EDIT: I agree, lift it and see what happens. If you need it, you can live with the vibration for a while.

on my 2000 i first had a rough country lift that netted around 2.5" i did no tcase drop and no sye and was fine. When i put the RE 3.5 on i did a 1" tcase drop and shimmed the rear and was perfectly fine. What lift you put on has a large effect on what things you will have to deal with considering my two "3 inch" kits netted right at 2" difference in lift height

I have an 2001 with about a 2.75 inch lift, no major vibes. Just lift it, and if there are vibes, fix them as soon as money permits. Your jeep shouldn't explode in the few weeks in between.

I just did the RE SuperRide and used a t-case drop as a temporary solution, and now I'm going to put on the SYE to gain back the ground clearance I'm losing due to the t-case drop.

I would also agree with lift first and see if you have vibes. Also, don't forget that a front driveshaft from an auto XJ will work as a rear drive shaft, so that will is a cheaper option then getting a brand new ds.

I had vibes with 3.5" in my 93, made some spacers and dropped the case for a temporary solution, got an SYE in there now! I went cheap on it and went with a hack n tap, and stock front drive line works good drives great!

Jeep had a parts kit to lower the cross member at the dealership to deal with customer complaints about drive line vibes on stock 00-01 Cherokees.

Lift it and see what happens.

Thanks a bunch guys. We will see what happends after i lift it. Hopefully it will be my winter project and i wil be sure to keep you all posted. thanks again.

Back