• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

want to swap to newer hatch..

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
ive been searching, and i understand that the newer hatches have internal hinge mount, but has anyone ever actually done this swap? i have access to the hatch and tail lights so i was just wondering how hard it would be. i havent seen the newer hinges before so i guess if someone posts up a picture it could make more sencse. oh btw, im swapping the newer front clip into mine, and i thought id try to do hatch, because i havent found info on anyone doing it before..so. if this idea falls through, it goes back to me doing a split lift gate.

the hinges are just the start of the issue, they actually changed the back end of the XJ slightly on the 97+. I doubt very much the hatch would seal.

You could always wack about a foot of the 97+ xj and transplant it to your 96 earlier XJ.

If you want the newer style xj so bad just sell yours and buy a 97' or newer.Some are getting pretty cheap to buy now and a whole lot less work than replacing a whole frontend and all it would entail for the hatch transplant.With the newer xj you get interior as well as the outside upgrades and some horsepower increases and preformance depending what year you buy.

Hate to raise the dead but can anyone explain HOW the 2 hatches are different? Hinges, no biggie. Neither are the taillights or door striker and im not too worried about body lines unless they are way off. I'm not afraid of fabrication but id like to know just how much I'd be dealing with. I don't have a 97+ as a reference so pictures/measurements would be cool.

Back