• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford orange fuel injector o rings?

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to do a bunch of work on my XJ this weekend, and I was thinking about dropping in some junkyard orange tops from a Mustang or equivilent.

The reason being is that my Jeep has almost 400,000 KM's and I don't know if the injectors have ever been changed, so I'm going to try and find some lower mileage ones.

Thing is, if I find 6 of 'em, where can I find new o-rings for them? Just from an auto parts place? And will they drop right into my 1989 RENIX fuel rail/manifold?

I got a set of o rings for the injectors on my 99 grand marquis 24# orange from rock auto for like $9. These were felpro's.

A set of 8 is $3.99 for the off brand o rings at autozone, or $3.49 per set of 4 for felpro.

Alright, sounds good - I didn't know if they were a dealer only part or what.

Second question, is there any way to tell how clean injectors are? Or if there's any way I can clean them personally?

I don't want to buy them and find out they're worse than mine. (doubtful that'll happen).

Summit Racing has the o-rings, or you can get a "rebuild kit" http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=82

I took orange top injectors out of a mercury grand marquis (they were a direct fit) and used the RJM injector rebuild kit on them and they are working well. Just be careful not to tear the o-rings when you install the injectors into the fuel rail and intake.

junkyard injectors will match each other as well as your current injectors do...

NEW, flowmatched injectors will run you about $150

I don't have $150 to spend on injectors when mine are working OK. I need to save that for skiing ;)

What about doing something like this?
http://www.rowand.net/shop/Tech/DIYFuelInjectorCleaning.htm

Leave the used junkyard mustang injectors in seafoam or acetone overnight and then cycle them in the morning and blow compressed air through them. Should clean them out good enough.
I got a set of 8 mustang injectors on e-bay for $20. Run some good fuel injector cleaner through the gas tank or take it to a shop that cleans injectors and you should be quite happy with the result.

Back