• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

paint code for my 88 XJ dark grey

wgregt

NAXJA Forum User
Hey gang-
I'm trying to get some touch-up paint for my grey 88 xj limited. But, I cannot find/figure out the paint code.

The decal on the driver's door is there, but all the info other than the black type is just yellow empty blocks....that's what 21 years will do to it, I guess.

I spoke to 2 dealers who had no idea how to look it up b/c of the age of the vehicle. I've got the pop-riveted tag from under the hood on the firewall, but apparently there's nothing on it for the paint code either.

So, rather than wait until I see someone on the road with the same year/make/model and following them home (which is not beyond me at all), I thought one of you guys might have the same year/make/model/color and could see if your door jamb decal has any info on it. Or maybe you know how to read the dog tag on the firewall instead?

Thanks.

It *SHOULD* be somewhere on that metal plate. At least, it is on my '96. There is another code next to it that looks like a paintcode but isn't though so be careful (for instance I saw PW1 PQ1, my paintcode is PW1, there is no such thing as PQ1 for a 96.) I think your paint code is "CX" but I'm not sure - automotivetouchup.com has that as the code for the only color approximating gray I could find.

See: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/paintcodelocations.htm

Hmmm...not sure I see a CX on here anywhere...could it be CC instead? Does anything else on here make better sense? Still not sure why the Stealer couldn't pull this off...

paintcode.jpg

If you've got the 88 limited dark grey 4.0/4dr/4WD model, that would be great if you could do that. I just got off the phone with chrysler HQ. They were of no help. Apparently they do not even have the sale date info sheet from this VIN that listed all the OEM options that were sold on this vehicle. No record of it existing at all.

Maybe I really haven't been driving it for 21 years/300k+ miles. Maybe it has all been a figment of my imagination.

I went thru the files and the only reference I see is "Dover Grey Metallic" and it was a $170.00 option. Sorry, I do not see a paint code. Maybe the name will help,

Thanks for trying. I'll see if the color name means anything to anyone. $170 "option" huh? Wow. Either I didn't pay that or I did and don't remember being told it was an additional cost. Either way, what a bunch of hooey.

The VINs get recycled. It's not that Chrysler doesn't think your Jeep exists, it's that they probably didn't expect you to forget what color it is after looking at it for 20 years, and didn't write it down.

I just Googled "jeep color code". The first return is http://www.paintscratch.com. Entering 1988 Jeep Cherokee as the year, make, and model, it says that there is only one gray for your Jeep. Dover Gray Metallic. Paint code CC.

An interesting note from the company above.
Please note:
The VIN does not give us your color code. It only gives us any paint formula variance in an existing color code.

I suspect that's the reason no one at Chrysler knows what color your Jeep is without checking the tags. Anyway, found all of this, posted it, and had a beer in a matter of minutes. Don't try so hard next time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. I didn't forget what color it is, I just know it as "grey". When I bought it, I wanted the "grey one". Guess I didn't get too technical.

As far as Chrysler HQ, I read the tag to them, but all they asked for was the VIN. Had no interest in everything else on the tag. I threw out the "1QL? CC?" and the rep said "nooooo....that doesn't mean anything." Good to know.

Damn. I called the folks @ paintscratch.com as well as duplicolor. Neither one of them could make heads or tails of the tag on the firewall.

That's pretty sad- "the gray one" actually should have been enough information for them to tell you which color and code. Anyway, hope that helped. I've been looking to buy some paint from them (Duplicolor discontinued Stone White)- I hope their info and formulas are right.

Called Duplicolor with the correct paint code just now. They got nothing for me, not even a listing for it. No help. Looks like paintscratch.com it is!

Back