• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

windshield crack home repair :)

hightime81

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All!

Got a nice 2 foot crack running along my windshield and was looking around online on how to fix it on the cheap and if it was even possible. I found a recipe that supposedly will fix the crack using household items:
-1/2 cup water
-1 tbl spoon of salt
-1 tsp of bug spray
-1 tbl spoon of rubbing alcohol

mix well and apply in layers to the crack using sponge brush, let dry for a couple of hours and that should fix the cracks.

I am going to try it as soon as it stops raining in the southeast here lol! anyone else ever heard of this? would save me a bunch of cash!

i will report once i do test it.

Ummm, how is that going to bond glass? It might hide the crack by filling it with a liquid with a similar index of refraction, but it won't fix it...

Around here, we fix our glass with comprehensive glass coverage and one of these:
Hammer_4926f26d96402.jpg

LOL Kastein.

Im not holding my breath for this to work to be honest. i found it with a google search and ~50 people had actually taken the time to come back and rate it as a good fix. I don't pretend to think it will bond to the glass and be a permanent fix, but i have the stuff laying around so why not give it a shot i figure.

Pics will be taken:)

Yeah, I'm not trying to dissuade you - for the kind of money it costs for those ingredients, I'd give it a shot too, it really can't hurt. I just don't see any real way it can work, except to hide the crack long enough to pass inspection or something I guess. Good luck!

The bug spray part is killing me....WTF...

It seems as though everything in the formula will either evaporate or is water soluble-- I can't see it lasting past the first rain, but I've been wrong before.

I googled for windshield repairs- I found this recipe on one of those "ask an anonymous interweb" sites, along with another recipe featuring bug spray, citrus cleaner, and something else, with a ventured guess that the glass's physical properties are altered by a "random chemical change".

Uh, yeah. Random chemical tempering. Sure thing.

Don't parts stores carry a windshield repair kit for less than $10? Atleast that stuff is an epoxy or resin that you "inject" into the crack.
Those kits do work to some extent if you're very careful and follow instructions and if the phase of the moon is propitious, etc...I once did a stone ding with one, and was surprised at how well it worked. But I think you'll have problems with any crack that is larger than an inch or so, and with any crack that is propagating.

Some insurance companies repair/replace the windshield for free. The outfit that does the work, MAGIC, said something to the effect that anything more than a few inches in length can't be repaired (if you can't cover it with a dollar, the agent says), nor can cracks that extend to the edge of the panel.

Windshield repair kits/NOVUS, etc., work for SMALL chips and cracks.

I think anything bigger than 1" or so is a lost cause.

I do, however, think keeping the bugs off the windshield could be useful. :twak:

Ummm, how is that going to bond glass? It might hide the crack by filling it with a liquid with a similar index of refraction, but it won't fix it...

Around here, we fix our glass with comprehensive glass coverage and one of these:
Hammer_4926f26d96402.jpg

I was thinking more along this line...

blog_ducktape.JPG

If they don't find you handsome, they might as well find you handy!

Back