• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust help. Need opinions.

hupo224

NAXJA Forum User
So I found where my exhaust leak is coming from. I don't know the name so maybe you can help me. My catalytic converter also rattles. It is a crack around the pipe and some of the pipe after that is bent in a lot.

here are pictures.

dscf3825.jpg

dscf3827c.jpg

So I dont know how much this cost and I do realize it's going to be a bitch to get out. So is there any suggestions for a type of exhaust I should look into?

Thank you

That is basically the manifold collector.. Get a aftermarket header replacement, as these stock manifolds are notorious for cracking. I would recommend having a really good local exhaust shop make you a new mandrel bent downpipe, and add a flex joint downstream before the cat, and have them install a new cat for you. While you are at it, for better sound you can also hack your muffler off and install an aftermarket muffler or straight pipe.

I dont know the details, but perhaps you could find it in a search. On one of my 96's, there was a recall on the cat a few years ago when my mother in law took it into the dealer for some service work while we were overseas. They replaced the cat due to the recall, and they said the rattling was the symptom. You might try there first, you could at least get the cat problem fixed.

The header problem is nothing new, and you will need to replace it with an aftermarket unit, or it will do the same thing with an OEM part.

As for shop prices, obviously they will vary considerably, so you should just shop around. Most places will give you an estimate for free.

Hey, that's your exhaust manifold. Mine had cracked the same way and I replaced it years ago & around 40k miles ago. No problems at all since. Didn't do anything else, just the manifold. Here's a link to the manifold talked about in a NAXJA thread: XJ Exhaust Manifold Go to the last page for current links. Looks like right now this manifold is selling for around $150 with shipping. Installing this manifold is something you can do yourself if you can handle a wrench and follow the basic instructions included with the manifold. At least I was able to and I don't do wrenches very well! lol.

If you're catalytic converter is rattling it needs replaced. The chunks can clog the exhaust and cause overheating & other problems.

hth, Doug

Last edited:
I am in the middle of doing this now. I actually just took it off last night as my new header was scheduled to be in today. Some things to offer:

If you really reasearch on here, you will get some great advice and tips that will make the job easier.

MAKE SURE you hit all of your bolts with penetrating oil a few times in advance. This was a life saver for me.

Have a knuckle joint (not sure what was called) handy as you will need it. Off of memory, I think I was using 10mm, 13mm and 15mm sockets, extended sockets and wrenches.

And, hunt around. I got a new in the box manifold with a gasket on ebay for $67 including shipping. Here was their ebay store link. Looks like has plenty and this was the best deal I found http://stores.shop.ebay.com/ePartPa...17QQ_sidZ655783417QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

You can also try welding it. I was able to take out my air box and weld mine on my 94. As long as you have good motor mounts and dont hammer it too bad you should be fine with the weld. Mine has held up for about 5 years now. BTW this crack will also hurt your economy and in some cases produce a lifter noise.

I think I will go with buying a new one. Any tips for the bottom bolts? I'm contemplating taking it to a shop or doing it myself.

My cat is also bad. Will that effect the performance of the engine? does the exhaust leak do the same thing?

both will affect performance. a lot of exhaust shops won't mess with manifolds because of rusted/stuck bolts.

Back