• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sudden mileage drop

Brutussr

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 xj with the 4.0. My mileage has dropped for 17-18 down to 15. I have changed the o2 sensor and did a tuneup with no change in mpg. I don't have a clue of what to look at next........... HELP!!!!!!:helpme:

I read an online article where they were trying to get the most mpg out of an XJ. All of the sudden the mileage took a nose dive, then the power steering pump froze up a few days later. They replaced the pump and the gas mileage returned.

exhaust manifold

I've only had my XJ for a couple weeks now, but I've been monitoring the fuel consumption. Even with all highway miles (traveling around 70MPH) and no A/C on, I get about 16-17 MPG. I was under the impression that the 4.0L was slightly better than that on the highway, but I could be wrong.

I quoted your post in particular because I do know I have a slight exhaust leak at the flanges between the header pipe and the intermediate pipe. I personally don't see how, but could this be a possible cause for decreased fuel efficiency? I don't know the condition of my oxygen sensors, so I should probably start there first, but was wondering if my known exhaust leak issue could be a cause.

I've only had my XJ for a couple weeks now, but I've been monitoring the fuel consumption. Even with all highway miles (traveling around 70MPH) and no A/C on, I get about 16-17 MPG. I was under the impression that the 4.0L was slightly better than that on the highway, but I could be wrong.

I quoted your post in particular because I do know I have a slight exhaust leak at the flanges between the header pipe and the intermediate pipe. I personally don't see how, but could this be a possible cause for decreased fuel efficiency? I don't know the condition of my oxygen sensors, so I should probably start there first, but was wondering if my known exhaust leak issue could be a cause.

Any exhaust leak upstream of the o2 sensor will indicate a "lean" engine condition, the ECU/PCM enrichens the mixture = lower MPG.

Back