• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to Check Tie Rods?

johnferg69

NAXJA Forum User
I know I have some front end issues. Jacked up the front end and can see that my upper and lower ball joints are toast. Prying up on the tires revealed a small gaps at the steering knuckles.
Besides wiggling the tires and steering componants by hand, is there any other way to check the tie rods? Steering wheel locked and man handling the wheels and steering componants, I don't see any wiggle or loose connections.

Wheels on the ground, you laying there and observing, have friend turn the steering wheel from side to side.

Wheels on the ground, you laying there and observing, have friend turn the steering wheel from side to side.

just like that. if anything looks like its excessively moving it should be replaced.

Mine from the pitman arm to the drag link is bad. is that just called the upper tie rod end?

(I believe) that would technically be called the passenger side inner, but if you go to a parts house, tell them it's the one at the pitman arm.. Because it's on the drivers side of the car, a lot of online resources and auto parts stores will call it out as being 'drivers side', although it connects to the passenger side wheel.

Back