• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

guage cluster kit/light swap

jbcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
So after being inspired by my brother-in-laws old audi a4 (99 i think) I want to try and switch all my interior lighting to red. Luckily i have an aftermarket head unit whose light i can switch to red with just a few clicks but this is my question

Is there any way to swap out the lighting for the gauge cluster to red? I haven't had time to get the dash off yet but is there anyway to change its color? Does any company sell a plate i can swap out my stock one for so its red and black?

Thats all really. Not exactly the most important mod but hey why not try?

Rmeove the cluster, and simply swap the bulbs out for red ones. It won't be nearly as red as the audi, due to trying to shine through the semi translucent white traces the allow light to pass through on the factory cluster

(this applies to a 94-96, may apply to other pre-97 years, 97+ is different)
1) lower the steering wheel all the way if you have a tilt wheel, then unscrew the tilt arm.
2) remove the three T20 screws holding your steering column housing on. Carefully unclip the plastic housing at the back, these clips are really easy to break. Remove housing.
3) remove the four Phillips screws holding the dash bezel on. They are over the cigarette lighter and headlight switch and along the top of the gauge cluster.
4) unclip the dash bezel. It's got a couple spring loaded clips holding it in along the left end, and 3-4 around the radiator/climate control center.
5) lift the dash bezel out of the way
6) unscrew the six screws holding the cluster in, pull it out, disconnect wiring harness.
7) replace the applicable bulbs with any color you want - they twist out (ccw I think, not sure) then pull back. Careful, some of the bulbs are for indicators and stuff not just general illumination.
8) reverse all previous steps

EDIT: see if you can get high brightness LED replacements - I know many standard automotive bulbs can be replaced with premade LED clusters but I'm not sure if anyone makes the ones that'll fit a gauge cluster. If they do, they'll be pretty much "punch-in-the-face red", LEDs are great that way.

Back