• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear hatch

stevmav

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys is there a way to adjust the handle on rear hatch.my handle pull all the way up before door will open now its getting stuck i have to hit it with my hand next to handle to get it open,going to take a complete dump on me real soon,how do you get rear hatch open,when handle takes crap????????
should i pull rear inner cover off now??????? thanks for your time steve n

replace the handle/spring?

OK AL try that ?????????? were can i get one no 98 or newer xj in bone yard out here in phoenix,would you believe i just parted out a 2001,sold with rear hatch.didn't need it then.dam my luck!!! thanks for your time steve n

Bail on the stock connecting mechanism.
Open it up, take the plastic off.
Remove the threaded metal rod by whatever means available. Psychologically, I found 24" bolt cutters to be the best option.
Buy a 3" turnbuckle (like you'd use to tension a cable) and open the ends up appropriately with a pair of pliers. You may need to shorten one or both threaded sections to get the right range of adjustment.
Hook one end through the bottom catch, one end over the cheesey tin threaded rod grabber arm. Tighten the turnbuckle. You may wish to use locktite. I didn't.
Spray it with WD40 and Voila! For 1.29 and fifteen minutes of your time, you have a permanent solution.
I lived in Moab for a while adn the dust froze my trunk latch constantly. I would PBlaster, open, clean, lube & repeat all the damn time. Eventually it froze shut so bad I couldn't open it by hand - had to soak it in PB for two days before I got it open again. Now I live with less dust, yeah - but it's been about a year and I haven't touched my trunk latch again. Best 1.29 I ever spent!

A shorter linkage is certainly one way to go, but before you go too far with this, a couple of other thoughts.

First of all, we're dealing with a basically poor design here, in which the handle operates a mechanism on a loose pivot. There's a lot of play built in, but also a lot that develops with wear. If you look at the picture (if I remember to post it) you'll see the loose pivot on mine. A suitably sized, thin snap ring has helped to take up some of that play, but you must make sure that it doesn't bind. Notice also the shiny worn spot on the edge of the pivot, where the plastic tab of the handle, now also worn, pushes. If wear continues too far, it might be possible to build that up.

But first of all, make sure that the latching mechanism (the part that stays in the hatch when handle is removed) is well lubricated. When it gets stiff, nothing will help, because the combination of play in the latch, play in the mounting of the latch to the hatch (it's only bolted in on one end), and flex in the sheet metal itself, will add up to no opening.

In other words, you can use a shorter linkage like Yossarian's idea to compensate for wear, but it still won't work well unless the latch itself is working freely.

You will also always have trouble if you adjust the latch too tight to try to compensate for rattling, or if cargo in the rear shifts and presses out on the hatch. If that happens, you must remember to push inward on the hatch while you pull the handle.

And naturally, I forgot the picture, so here it is.....
jeephatchlatch.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
But first of all, make sure that the latching mechanism (the part that stays in the hatch when handle is removed) is well lubricated. When it gets stiff, nothing will help, because the combination of play in the latch, play in the mounting of the latch to the hatch (it's only bolted in on one end), and flex in the sheet metal itself, will add up to no opening.

In other words, you can use a shorter linkage like Yossarian's idea to compensate for wear, but it still won't work well unless the latch itself is working freely.

You will also always have trouble if you adjust the latch too tight to try to compensate for rattling, or if cargo in the rear shifts and presses out on the hatch. If that happens, you must remember to push inward on the hatch while you pull the handle.
Fine points. My experience (sample size: 1) tells me that a tightened turnbuckle won't rattle and has little to no "play" in it; it will open the latch so long as you are able to lift the handle.

ok thanks guys got it fixed it was dry ,rusted adj rod lenght open write up now jeep didnt put alot into making the latch,it's cheap!wd40 works great. thank s steve n

Back