• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Propane

joyboy09

NAXJA Forum User
i just got through wheeling at a park down here in alabama and almost hove of the 400 rigs there where running propane. im so jealous that i want propane right away. Does anyone know where i can get a cheap conversions kit or used forklifts?

great info - on a similar subject anyone know of a good site on running XJs on ethanol? My dad is alllllll about the ethanol vehicle talk these days and I want to have something to say the next time he asks me.

great info - on a similar subject anyone know of a good site on running XJs on ethanol? My dad is alllllll about the ethanol vehicle talk these days and I want to have something to say the next time he asks me.

A gallon of ethanol has less BTU's of energy than a gallon of gas. You'd have to replace every rubber part of your fuel system. Ethanol isn't the magic bullet that will solve the energy crisis. You are robbing peter (food production) to pay paul (ethanol production).

Back to propane, Xtreme 4x4 did an ep on that last weekend. You can watch the ep online.

I know the old fork lifts we had, were carbed. I dunno how an EFI swap for propane would work. With carbed setup's, it's basically rejetting the carb, and afew other minor things.

Theres no issues with running propane with any type of fuel injection.

Tell him that ethanol is a piss poor fuel and he should start looking into propane or CNG.

A gallon of ethanol has less BTU's of energy than a gallon of gas. You'd have to replace every rubber part of your fuel system. Ethanol isn't the magic bullet that will solve the energy crisis. You are robbing peter (food production) to pay paul (ethanol production).

Back to propane, Xtreme 4x4 did an ep on that last weekend. You can watch the ep online.

I know the old fork lifts we had, were carbed. I dunno how an EFI swap for propane would work. With carbed setup's, it's basically rejetting the carb, and afew other minor things.
You can get a unit that replaces the throttle body and has a computer module to alter the computer map to run propane. It allows you to switch between the two at will.

We ran propane on the farm for decades. It give you a bit less hp. Back then we were running leaded gas and the propane made the engines last many time longer. The problem was that you needed to install Stellite valve seats to handle the higher combustion temps. Todays engines have that standard.

We used an injector plate under the carb. It was made by a company (sp?) Empco. You could switch back and forth, which is handy in the winter because when it gets really cold here in Colorado, the propane doesn't want to vaporize very well and starting can be a problem.

Tell him that ethanol is a piss poor fuel and he should start looking into propane or CNG.
While I completely agree with you guys, I'm just really tired of discussing it. I want him to get some information so he can go think about it and stop hassling me and telling me how ethanol is going to save the world.

e85 is making waves in forced induction circles... no it wont save the planet, but it can make more power in certain instances (not jeeps)
yes, it takes more e85 than equivelant 110 octane, but the e85 is both cheaper, eco friendly (than leaded race gas), and to top it off, it cools the intake charge while its at it.

Back