• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I can't get it to run. - I've read the trouble shooting BTW

pushingpsi

NAXJA Forum User
So the other day my Cherokee started hesitating real bad, couldn't give it more that 30% throttle. I got it home and parked it for a couple days. I figured the fuel filter needed replacement. So I went out today and tried to start it, and it wouldn't start. It keep trying to turn over but wouldn't fire. So I replaced the fuel filter and tried again, no luck. I had spark, so I guessed no fuel. I disconnected the line before the FPR and tried turning it over and no fuel was coming out of the line. I'm a little stumped because when I turn the car on I can hear the fuel pump turn on for a few seconds or at least I think its the fuel pump. Can anyone help me? Any fuses I should be looking for that might be burnt out?

So the other day my Cherokee started hesitating real bad, couldn't give it more that 30% throttle. I got it home and parked it for a couple days. I figured the fuel filter needed replacement. So I went out today and tried to start it, and it wouldn't start. It keep trying to turn over but wouldn't fire. So I replaced the fuel filter and tried again, no luck. I had spark, so I guessed no fuel. I disconnected the line before the FPR and tried turning it over and no fuel was coming out of the line. I'm a little stumped because when I turn the car on I can hear the fuel pump turn on for a few seconds or at least I think its the fuel pump. Can anyone help me? Any fuses I should be looking for that might be burnt out?

Really need to know what year to even venture a guess.

I'm a little stumped because when I turn the car on I can hear the fuel pump turn on for a few seconds or at least I think its the fuel pump. Can anyone help me? Any fuses I should be looking for that might be burnt out?
You will only hear the fuel pump for a few seconds while it builds up pressure. That is normal (I hear mine all the time... that is not normal and I expect mine to die any day now. haha). Why there is no fuel flowing is a different question. Possible block somewhere else in the line? Possibly before the fuel filter? Maybe a bad pump (turns on for a few seconds as normal, but it's really not pumping anything?)

I had a similar issue where sometimes (most of the time) I couldn't give it much throttle. After parking it didn't want to start but if I gave it a jump it would do OK for a while. Still not sure what happened, but I assume I got water somewhere that she didn't like.. it started happening after either A) a wheeling trip, or B) a thorough car wash. I cant remember.

Try getting a jump, and if that lets it start OK leave it ideling for maybe a half hour. Thats what I did. Solved my issues, I assume whatever was in there either burned off or evaporated :D

Edit: Re-read yours and see htat you said it turns over but doesnt start. Mine didn't turn over w/o a jump so it's probably different.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. Sorry I forgot to mention that it is an 88 4.0L. I replaced the fuel filter, but I couldnt find any markings on it so I'm guessing it can go in any direction.

Thanks for the responses. Sorry I forgot to mention that it is an 88 4.0L. I replaced the fuel filter, but I couldnt find any markings on it so I'm guessing it can go in any direction.
The plot thickens. When you start, the fuel pump is run (powered) by the starter relay. After the motor has started by the fuel pump relay.
If you can hear it prime, the circuit is likely good.
You can test for power while starting at either end of the ballast resistor, you can use a simple test light or a volt meter. The volts are typically a little low, (around 9 volts) but this is a non issue. The pump pumps enough fuel at 9 volts to more than get the job done.
It may be something else, but this is a good starting point.
If I remember correctly the fuel filter is marked for direction, but not likely to be a large problem.

Last edited:
So I pulled the fuel pump out today. As soon as I pulled it I noticed that the fuel line inside the tank that goes from the pump to the fuel tank plate had slipped off. I guess whomever installed the pump forgot to tighten the clamp. So I tighten the clamp and it runs fine now. Thanks for everyone's help.

Back