• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny cooler??

Go to a junkyard and get a Ford Explorer tranny cooler. $15 at a pick and pull.

Almost the same thing that you posted.

What year range is good for the Explorer?

Any of them.

The earlier boxier style (up through '95 I think?) had a thinner, plate style cooler that is easier to fix behind the XJ grill IMO.

The later style (96-01 I believe) had a thicker plate style cooler similar to what the OP posted the link too. Probably tougher to fit behind the XJ grill, but I'd imagine it would be better than the older style.

FWIW, I run the older style, as do some of my friends. One of my friends has a temp gauge on his tranny and it very rarely, if ever, gets up to 180*.

I read somebody's quotation of the factory service manual indicating the ideal AW4 temp is 125-150, much lower than most transmissions.... if that is the case, you almost can't over-cool the things.

My fsm for a 95 states the normal operating temp for the AW4 is 116-176 deg. Mine usually runs 150 - 165 and sometimes 180 on a hot day in traffic with the B&M cooler.

I got once from CAP for about $15 for a kit. Works great, came with everything you need. You hook it up to go through the cooler first then the stock one in the radiator to make sure it doesn't get too cool in the winter. No issues with mine. 90xj on 33's DD

A tube cooler is not as good as a plate cooler.
I'm interested in a tranny cooler since i overheated my aw4 trying to force my way up a hill. can you recommend a plate cooler or two?

The B&M coolers are a plate design.

I have a derale heat sink cooler. I got it for about half off, and its nice that it doesn't need the airflow that the plate type coolers.

Sure it does(unless its inter-cooled)!

when shopping for a tranny cooler what would a guy need to know to look for to know if it would work?? Line sizes and what?? would it still go threw the rad or no??

Back