• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bastard pack problems...

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
I did a bastard pack today to try and match my 2.25" spacers. I used the whole s10 pack under my XJ main. Maybe I wasn't thinking but it rides awful. I got close to 3" out of it which is a little more than I need also. I was trying for a flexy setup, not 1-Ton.

Should I have used just the S10 main in with my stock XJ leaves? I need to do something but not sure what to do. Thinking of cutting the bottom leaf and going from there, that way i dont have the pull the whole setup again.

play with it until you find what works there is no magic answer. Also did you make sure to use some sort of lube or pad between the leaves.

Check these links out

s10
http://www.generalspringkc.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=111&pg=1

XJ
http://www.generalspringkc.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=142&pg=1

The S10 springs are a lot stiffer if you look at the spring capacity and the thickness of the leaves. A 4 leaf xj pack is 1" thickness and a 4 leaf S10 pack is 1.5" thick that means the s10 leaves are %50 thicker per leaf. I would use mostly the XJ leaves and use the most curved leaves from the S10 to add lift. Also try using teflon spray in between the leaves, it seems to work pretty well for cutting down on friction.

Actually, looking at that awesome website, I see I put a 1,400 LB capacity pack under the main of a 700lb pack.

Gee I wonder why its riding so badly.

Got myself a 1,500+ pound pack in the back of a unibody jeep. Maybe if I were towing a house around it would be alright..

There is no clear answer because each XJ and each S10 lead different lives, thus each bastard pack is different.

I re-built my pack several times... It is the price we pay for not putting up the coin for new leaf packs.

I did not get it right until I used some 1-1/2 blocks and then I think the RE Add a leaf and 1 of the other leafs that I had from the Dak-Pak. Now I have it ride OK and flex OK.

Found the problem.

Shocks were way too short, had about a 1/2 inch of uptravel.

Cant imagine why i didnt notice at first...

so once u got the mj shocks tht solved ur problems? im considering doin the same thing with v8 zj coils up front

Back