• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear 4 link..heim size

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

ive been doing research for 4 linking my XJ rear now for a while. ive got all the brackets, DOM and all sorted out and know pretty much exactly what im going to use, and how im going to build it

problem is ive hit a speed bump when it comes to rod ends. im currently unsure of whether i want to run heims on the axle end, and poly on the x-member, or just heims all around.

i originally planned on running 1.25 inch heims. but i just saw that ruff stuff has a sale on their 7/8 inch heims, which have a 31,000# rating, and theyre only 50 bucks.

soo...i could spend 400 on 8 1.25 inch heims, or 200 on 8, 7/8 inch heims.

its going to be a dual triangulated 4 link, and im running 38s. i dont baby my set up, but im not uber hard on it either. if i need to run the 1.25 its no big deal, it will just slow down the build a little bit. if 7/8s is enough though, then i could probably have all the parts purchased by mid winter

thanks

You're on 38's and you aren't uber hard on it? Why not?

I'd go with the bigger heims. Check out Pirate4x4 and see what other guys used in their buildups. Lots of linked suspensions over there.

wishihad1, I have run a 4 link in my YJ for about 4 years. I love it and am in the process of putting it in my XJ. I run a 7/8" rebuildable joint (I believe it is a crawler Joint, not 100%) and have had ZERO issues with it. I also run 36" tires and am VERY hard on my rig! My links are 2x2x1/4 wall square tube and have never bent them. I forget how much I spent but 2 weeks ago I bought some Creeper Joints for a 3 link i'm working on and they are 1-1/4" shank and sell for $35each shipped from Trail-Gear. Here is the link i saw on Pirate4x4:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696470

For the cost of the joint and bung to weld in the tube you are at about $45 each. Either way I would think you'll be ok.
Good luck and give us some pics.
Stukboy

Back